Why become a member? ×

Switch to In-Ear monitoring

Guest MoJo

I made the switch last night and my only regret is that I didn't do it earlier. In my party/function band we all DI / Mic into the desk but I've always had an amp / cab / combo on stage for monitoring. Nervous and sceptical, I took both my in-ear monitors, a relatively inexpensive set of Sennheiser IE6's and my rig to the gig last night. I plugged my Zoom MS-60B into my DI box and into the desk. I got a monitor feed back from the engineer, a nice balanced mix of everything. To say I was pleased would be an understatement. I could hear everything I played more clearly than ever before and, without the bass rig combing and conflicting with the front of house sound, it was much easier to get a good balanced mix out front.

I shall still be using my rig for my rock covers band as everything goes off backline but I'm looking forward to the next gig with the party band when I can leave both the rig and wedge monitor at home.

[quote name='Les' timestamp='1378638941' post='2202603']
Would love to do this. Can you expand on the how it's done front ? or did you just leave it to the engineer ?

I'm assuming you need enough aux's on the desk for each member to have their own. How are they amplified ?

ta

Les
[/quote]

I trust my FOH sound to the Engineer. Amplification is via a small, inexpensive 4 way headphone amp. Depending on the number of auxiliaries on your desk dictates whether you get your own individual mix or not. I get the same mix as the drummer which is a balanced bit of everything