Why become a member? ×

What Comes Naturally To You? What Doesn't?

Lowender

I play like me. I don't a have a problem making a groove - possibly as my first band used a drum machine so I learned that I could create the pulse by pushing and pulling.
I'm not good remembering chords if you shout them out to me, I'ld need to write them down.

[quote name='Lowender' timestamp='1379295019' post='2211001']
My opinion is based on the fact that he's a brilliant player but his solos are generic and uninspired. I'm not alone. I also recommended Squire to a bassist who was unfamiliar with his work and he checked out a solo and thought he was awful. I then played a track from The YES Album and then he realized how good he was.

Yes, music is subjective but why make it an issue at every turn? The point is, not everybody can do everything equally well -- even great players.
[/quote]
I agree that not everybody can do everything equally well......but as a bassist I don't want to be able play every style though, only the style's that are useful, or "right", to me as a player within the music that I want to play.

Jeff Berlin would rip it up on a fretless - but has a very strict and outspoken opinions about why he would avoid doing so. I'm certain Louis Johnson would be able to jam with Zep and do a decent job of JPJ lines also. Anthony would probably be a monster slap player IF he wanted to be....Chris? well, he has the kind of ego that comes from living in the type of bubble that comes with being a rock god.

His solo's are self indulgent rubbish imo...

[quote name='Lowender' timestamp='1379253261' post='2210340']
Well, Chris Sqiure has been doing a solo at YES shows for 30 years and he still stinks at it. Meanwhile his time is impeccable, his tone is god-like, he has chops to spare and his sense of voice leading is one of the most brilliant I've ever heard. Explain that.
[/quote]

I don't agree that he stinks at soloing. I like his solos. They're not about complex harmony or subtle improvisation, and I don't believe are intended to be. They're about mood and, something often forgotten around here, entertainment.

I'll agree with the rest though!

[quote name='White Cloud' timestamp='1379259765' post='2210460']
If Chris thinks he sounds good but you don't then who is right and who is wrong?

I would say that your assertion that Chris is not a good soloist is purely subjective. Your criteria for a good bass solo will be different to mine etc etc. We all hear things differently.

Personally I think that any rock bassist that takes the time to take a solo slot live needs a reality check...but that's just me - and that's another story!
[/quote]

The first part I wholeheartedy agree with. The last bit; well I could aim that at many, many musicians from many genres. I think some of the worst bass solos I've ever seen (IMO) are some of Jaco's. Not to deny his talent in any way but some of his solos are just ill thought out, meandering nonsense. IMO of course. ;)

My opinion is based on the fact that he's a brilliant player but his solos are generic and uninspired. I'm not alone. I also recommended Squire to a bassist who was unfamiliar with his work and he checked out a solo and thought he was awful. I then played a track from The YES Album and then he realized how good he was.

Yes, music is subjective but why make it an issue at every turn? The point is, not everybody can do everything equally well -- even great players.
[/quote]

Still opinion I'm afraid. And in this instance, it IS subjective. FWIW, I'm pretty sure Chris isn't playing his solos to impress bass players. And I'm pretty sure that if it was Hadrien Feraud soloing, as good as he is, many Yes fans would be asleep by the 3rd bar.

I do however agree that most people have areas of playing they're not particularly good at and possibly never will be (ask Usain Bolt about natural talent ;)). Before I started having nerve problems in my right arm I could pick with the most technical guitarists in the world. However I have never, despite putting a lot of work in to correct it, been a great fingerstyle player. Same goes for slap. I'm poor at it now but even when I was really putting the hours in I was no better than mediocre. I'm also much better at driving than sitting back off the beat, but I think that comes from the fact that most of the music I love drives, be it jazz or rock or pop.

Edited by 4000

Everything comes naturally to me, it's all bloody easy, a bit more difficult now, but it's still easy peasy getting what's in my head to come out a speaker in the way I want it to.
YMMV.
:D

Yes, music is subjective but why make it an issue at every turn?
[/quote]

Good point, imho.
(Also, it's a lot less subjective than many people like or realise, but that's another thread.)