Why become a member? ×

I'm thinking of building a tribute bass to John McVie (Fleetwood Mac)

Biaeothanata-Bassist

Hey guys

I'm a massive Fleetwood Mac fan and John McVie has heavily influenced my bass playing over the years I've been playing. Just recently, I've been watching the Tango in the Night Live DVD over and over again pretty much creaming my pants every time I hear John's smooth bass lines in songs like "The Chain", "Everywhere" and "Go Your Own Way".

This got me thinking that I wanted to build a kind of John McVie tribute bass but base it off his Rumours/Tango in the Night era Fender Precision Bass. Specs wise i've decided on so far:

Body: Alder
Finish: Natural
Pickguard: Red tortoise 3 ply
Neck: C profile with skunk stripe and 50's silver logo
Fingerboard: Rosewood
Top nut: Graphtech PT1204 black tusq (just something I always use on my basses)
Tuning pegs: either Hipshot HB3 or Fender American vintage pre CBS reverse wind pegs
Hipshot: BT3 de-tuner (again, something I need on my basses)
Electronics: CTS 250k potentiometers and switchcraft mono input jack
Pickups: Seymour Duncan Antiquity (I use Seymour Duncans in all my basses and these have the vintage 50's tone)
Bridge: Fender BBOT with bridge and pick up cover mounting screws fitted (no covers though)
Strings: Rotosound RS77LD flatwounds (again, I use Rotosound strings on all my basses)
Accessories/misc: Schaller strap locks, standard Fender string tree, treble side mounted thumb rest, knurled flat top barrel style knobs, F stamped 4 bolt neck plate and bushing.

Can't think if i've forgotten anything but yeah, that's what I'm planning on doing. Nice and vintage styled. I may be a metal bassist but I do enjoy playing Dire Straits, Fleetwood Mac, Status Quo stuff a lot.

[quote name='KiOgon' timestamp='1379176380' post='2209538']
You'll need a tone cap in there - or maybe not - if you leave it out on all your basses :D & some string to tie the pots & jack together with ;)

Should be a nice bass :yarr:
[/quote]

Haha veeeeery funny. I've got plenty of wire laying around luckily. To be honest though, i'm not sure which capacitor to go with, any you recommend?

[quote name='Hobbayne' timestamp='1379176740' post='2209542']
He uses a Lakland live these days.
[/quote]

He does use a lakland that's very much like his Fender but he still uses the Fender, Tobias, Alembic and Carvin basses live too (albeit the Carvin one is an electro-acoustic bass)