Why become a member? ×

Genz Shuttle 6 - problems with power fluctuations

MolioMan

Had a show recently where we were forced to play thru a generator. We've done this before with no real issues (other than noise!), but this is the first such show I think I'd played with my Genz Shuttle 6 combo.

As far as I can [i]tele[/i], what was happening was that the generator's output was very uneven (not uncommon). Our lights (LEDs, very low draw) were flickering and pulsing some. Whenever we put a large draw on the power - such as when 4 vocalists were singing at once, the Genz would just cut out altogether for a second or so. Nothing else coming off of this power was cutting off - we use powered JBL Eons for mains & monitors, and there was also a small guitar amp.

I'm very willing to believe that it was the uneven power flow from the generator causing problems (hasn't reoccurred since then, on non-generator gigs). I guess my question is, has anyone else had this happen with a Genz? Is it more sensitive than other equipment to power fluctuations, and would they cause this behaviour? It was like having a stuttering amp!

If it was the power draw, is there anything I can use for live gigs that might help this, since I can't always guarantee the reliability of the power source?

Was using the Genz Benz Shuttle 6 with its single combo cabinet, so a 300w draw on the bass amp.

Thanks for any guidance. Definitely can't call myself much of a gearhead, but this looked like the place to ask!

MM

I don't think you would have been in a better position with anything else, the modern amps work on quite a flexible voltage compared to some amps afaik, if the generator was knackered enough to be struggling with led stage lights I think it was a losing battle! A basic little honda gene should be enough for a few amps and lights so I'd say the gene was either way too small, faulty or had something else like a beer tent draining the power?

The problem with generators (and inverters if using batteries) is the sine wave shape rather than the voltage, people test the voltage and declare it to be suitable but the sine wave shape will upset digital and audio gear, not great for us musicians eh?

This gives a simple version of sine waves.
http://www.hightechgenerators.com.au/what-is-sine-wave-and-what-does-it-do.aspx