Why become a member? ×

P vs J Pickups

maldy

That's a good description of the sound. Couldn't have said it better.

I was more wondering about the science of it. What is it in the physical make up of the pickups that causes the different sounds? Coil turns, circuitry, magnets...? I pretty much know nothing about all that!

[quote name='Lowender' timestamp='1379892830' post='2218041']
P's are humbucking and J's are single coil.
[/quote]

Pretty much. A P pickup, is actually two coils wired together to cancel hum, similar to a normal humbucker, or when you have both pickups on a J bass when both are on full.

The rest really comes down to.where the pickup is placed. People swear that the a P sounds different a Jazz bass at the neck pickup, but to me they sound exactky the same.

These days you can get jazz "single coil" pickups in a variety of versions, my bass has dimarzio model Js, and they are in fact split coilsin a jazz pickup casing

There are two coils wound in the opposite direction. only the one next to the string picks up the string movement but they both pick up mains hum and electrical noise. Because they are connected in reverse the current induced by hum and noise are reversed in polarity and cancel out,so only the sounds you want get through.

Describing sound is like describing taste. You really have to experience it yourself.

However...

The basic difference in humbucker and single coil (in bass and guitar) is that humbuckers obviously have no hum (which seems like a huge advantage) are fuller and usually have more output.

Single coils are grittier but prettier. They usually require more of a signal boost but when matching humbuckers output they have a very unique tonality that many prefer. But again, you have to experience to know what that is.

By having two coil slightly apart in the classic humbucker there will be certain high order harmonics that will be out of phase in thetwo coils and thus cancl out, which I imaging would affect the tone to some extent. I.e the fundamental will be in phase in both coils. Rather like having both pickups on in a Jazz (but much less of course).