Why become a member? ×

Sanburg Umbo electrical system solutions

Pinball

[color=#000000][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]
Hi, the 3 way switch/preamp on my Umbo has packed up. [/size][/font][/color]
There is some information here: http://www.sandberg-guitars.com/basscat-overview/calt-series/calumbo[/size][/font][/color][color=#000000][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]
Including a link to an electronics overview, where it mentions[i] the pre-amp 3-way selector switch. It does this: 1. Bypass 2. Ultra clean, 3. Dirty Mid/motown[/i][/size][/font][/color]
I mainly used the bypass as I love the natural tine of those pickups and little else so I would like to replace that system with one that still allows the natural tone but adds some nice options. Any suggestions? Nothing too expensive please.[/size][/font][/color]

[quote name='walbassist' timestamp='1380103567' post='2220733']
Why not email the guys at Sandberg and just sort a replacement? I am sure they'd want to help out, and as the Umbo's passive I am sure it's a simple solution to get it back to fully functioning.
[/quote]
Hi I already did that and am waiting for a reply. To be honest I'm totally confused. I know ziltch about guitar electrics and thought that this was a passive bass until I had this problem. It turns out that the pre-amp which modifies the sound. No batteries but it consists of the three way switch plus a couple of waxy blocks with wires coming out of them that sit between the selector switch and volume controls.

I left it with a local luthier to fix and he said that he hadn't seen anything like it before. The bass is still with him at the moment.
I guess if a straight replacement was easy I would go with that as I was happy before but as I tended to use it in position one 95% of the time, I wondered if now was the time to consider something different. Maybe some active kick would be a nice option.

Note: I have emailed Sndburg twice in the past as this is my 3rd Sandburg. First time they didn't replay and 2nd time they did reply but it took a few weeks, which doesn't fill me with confidence that I will get a reply any time soon.

[size=4][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]I am sure it'll be an easy fix for Sandberg, probably just some clever use of capacitors or somesuch....[/font][/size]

[size=4][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Surprised that you haven't had a reply, try [email="[email protected]"][email protected][/email]. I have always used him and had fast repsonses.[/font][/size]

Edited by walbassist

[quote name='walbassist' timestamp='1380113831' post='2220967']
[size=4][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]I am sure it'll be an easy fix for Sandberg, probably just some clever use of capacitors or somesuch....[/font][/size]

[size=4][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Surprised that you haven't had a reply, try [email="[email protected]"][email protected][/email]. I have always used him and had fast repsonses.[/font][/size]
[/quote]

Thanks for that, I tried that address and just cot a message of receipt of the mail. Thats an improvement already.

I'm still interested in alternatives though if anyone has any ideas. Nows the time for me to consider them

it is passive switching system - a while back I think I did read somewhere where someone had worked out what the different modes were. Natural tone, but nice options.... glockenklang?
Oh and btw... the way that that switch is wired if you did get it fixed you could still add a preamp as well after it