Why become a member? ×

Internet feedback, is there any point? Rant...

stingrayPete1977

So I see the luthier thread has gone, I missed the conclusion but thats not my point really, we hear so often that we should all put our personal findings out in the open for others to read but in reality all of those threads get locked or deleted in a short period of time, OK so once the big players get involved ie EBMM making BC take down the thread about sloppy fret work for example I can see they are tied up even though as a fan of their products I was all for leaving the thread open as there was nothing wrong with the method anyway really, again Rickenblabber we know all about so lets not even go there.

Any thread started about a negative experience will turn into a list of people, some who are objective and others that are just defending the brands in blind faith, I have noticed in a few Barefaced threads some people have logged in and posted that people should not slag them off etc only to read back through the topic to find no one actually has before they posted! Has it come to the point where they want to get that in first? crazy.

We saw the car crash Alleva bass, which no matter what the ins and outs were between buyer and seller the bass was a pile of sh*t that should have been broken up for spares.

The deleted thread was aimed at all brands even though the OP had only had experience of three bespoke companies albeit all negative ones so I can see that would nark me and most people too. IMO the thread should have been aimed at the brand in question (which I am not even going to mention) as a warning to others that the OP says they had wished they knew about beforehand but I bet the thread would have ended up deleted too so whats the point?

I would love a feedback section for all the various brands that we can now enjoy but in reality any thread where someone has had a negative personal experience will end in tears.

Do we really have the power of the internet that we all suggest or is the negative info only available to those that got a look at it before it was deleted?

Censoring is a bad thing IMO, I remeber hearing Cheryl Cole live at the radio one big weekender a few years ago, I couldn't wait to watch it on Youtube when I got home as it was the worst vocal performance I have ever heard, but you cant because its gone,deleted,destroyed who knows.

Rant over :D

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1380704611' post='2229089']
For the same reason that this one will go, too.
[/quote]

So, you can sing the praises of companies and individuals that provide you with outstanding service, but cannot warn people of your exact experience with those that are useless?

and here I was assuming that Basschat was here to help people with the truth?

[quote name='Lorne' timestamp='1380704839' post='2229099']
So, you can sing the praises of companies and individuals that provide you with outstanding service, but cannot warn people of your exact experience with those that are useless?

and here I was assuming that Basschat was here to help people with the truth?
[/quote]

This is what I am talking about, is it more just a list of good points and fan bois rather than a resourse for steering clear or at least being more informed of possible 'issues' with certain brands. Not just BC, the net in general?

[quote name='Lorne' timestamp='1380706169' post='2229136']
Well, glad it's back, thanks Charic

Would still be interested as to why it disappeared in the first place <_<
[/quote]

I'm trying to find out myself. Although it is possible that it was a slip of the finger by a mod reading through the thread

[quote name='xilddx' timestamp='1380705421' post='2229112']
Is it BC worry about defamation? No-one posted any false negative info did they?
[/quote]

Of course, there's very little means to identify false information from accurate - all feedback is, by it's nature, subjective. Which presents issues on occasion :)

Within recent memory, you all may recall a member posting about a couple of brands with which they had had an issue - and which did generate a threat of legal action against the individual. Thus, I think it's only fair to urge caution - both for the individual member posting, and for the administrator considering the issue.

I suspect someone has made a judgement call and erred on the side of caution, which I think is the safe thing to do, to protect either site or membership - and Charic has reviewed that decision and responded.

[quote name='Gust0o' timestamp='1380706659' post='2229147']
Of course, there's very little means to identify false information from accurate - all feedback is, by it's nature, subjective. Which presents issues on occasion :)

Within recent memory, you all may recall a member posting about a couple of brands with which they had had an issue - and which did generate a threat of legal action against the individual. Thus, I think it's only fair to urge caution - both for the individual member posting, and for the administrator considering the issue.

I suspect someone has made a judgement call and erred on the side of caution, which I think is the safe thing to do, to protect either site or membership - and Charic has reviewed that decision and responded.
[/quote]

Thanks Gus, fair comment mate.

[quote name='Gust0o' timestamp='1380706659' post='2229147']

[/quote]

But there was also a recent thread containing information on how to facilitate IP infringement which has simply been locked and all the posts still visible. Something like that could get Basschat into a lot of trouble regarding the DMCA, especially if the Basschat servers are located anywhere the US has influence.

Indeed, and I believe I know which thread you refer to - and there may be other instances, all of which have their specific considerations.

Which is why this isn't going to be a thread on moderation policy or practice. It would get awfully long, and ultimately fail to please everyone - but you should challenge, via PM to either the relevant Global Moderator for the section you have an issue with or an Administrator.