Why become a member? ×

Changing the setup

TPJ

I've booked my db in with Peter Hall this coming weekend to have my setup changed rather substantially. It currently has high action with low/med-low tension strings (Velvet Animas). I'm going to try dropping it right down from the ~15-17cm to very close and am losing the Animas to try Spiros for the first time. I found a used set of mitts in a bass bag I bought second hand (they are in very good shape), and I bought Clarky's used weichs so there is a little bit of choice. I love the Velvet's tone and have a feeling the Spiros will be a bit of a shock with such a different tone. Not sure whether to start with the mitts or the weichs. My playing style is a bit heavy handed so that will need addressing. I figure if I can't get my tone from Spiros, a set of Honeys will go on as those sounded lovely on this bass.

It's a little bit of a turd polishing exercise as the bass aint that great, a presumably European hybrid with a carved top and everything else laminated. But, it's my one and only so hopefully Peter will be able to work some magic to get the tone even and loud whilst making the action easier.

You'll do fine with Peter, top bloke and a great craftsman. He did all my work and made the bass sound tons better. He also repaired ShergoldSnicker's five string "Matilda". He won't do anything un-neccesary and keeps a close eye on cost in relation to the value of the instrument.

Steve

Hmmm, I've been wondering about this. I've got a cheap gear4music bass, bought second-hand and I've played around with the set up myself but only with regard to bridge height and position (previous owner thought that you had to remove the bridge every time you wanted to put it in the hard case!) and I've been wondering if it would be worth paying someone to properly set it up or whether i'd just be throwing good money after bad?

I have a cheap Antonini plywood bass which sounds a hell of a lot better, and is easier to play, after Peter worked on it. It's actually saved me money because instead of spending a grand or so on a better bass this one will be fine until I'm ready to step up to a serious money bass.

Steve

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

[quote name='oggiesnr' timestamp='1380800061' post='2230655']
I have a cheap Antonini plywood bass which sounds a hell of a lot better, and is easier to play, after Peter worked on it. It's actually saved me money because instead of spending a grand or so on a better bass this one will be fine until I'm ready to step up to a serious money bass.

Steve
[/quote]

I picked up my bass yesterday from Peter Hall. He skimmed the fingerboard, knocked the sound post around, and cut the bridge down to allow a fuller range of action, and then dropped the action for me.

It's like a revelation :) The bass now sounds clearer with very little volume loss. The tone is even across the strings up and down the neck and for once I can play thumb position with ease across the strings. He did a great job for an extremely reasonable price. I couldn't stop playing it last night. On top of it all he is a very nice fellow.

If you need any work done and are in the Yorkshire area give Peter a shout. [url="http://www.peterhallviolins.com/instruments/contact.html"]http://www.peterhall...ts/contact.html[/url]

Edited by TPJ

[quote name='TPJ' timestamp='1383561698' post='2265765']
I picked up my bass yesterday from Peter Hall. He skimmed the fingerboard, knocked the sound post around, and cut the bridge down to allow a fuller range of action, and then dropped the action for me.

It's like a revelation :) The bass now sounds clearer with very little volume loss. The tone is even across the strings up and down the neck and for once I can play thumb position with ease across the strings. He did a great job for an extremely reasonable price. I couldn't stop playing it last night. On top of it all he is a very nice fellow.

If you need any work done and are in the Yorkshire area give Peter a shout. [url="http://www.peterhallviolins.com/instruments/contact.html"]http://www.peterhall...ts/contact.html[/url]
[/quote]

Glad it worked out so well for you (but then, knowing Peter, I'd expect nothing less).

Happy playing

Steve