Why become a member? ×

Stunning. 62 RI?

karlfer

Only 25 miles from me, stunning but I've never seen one like this before. Any thoughts please?
[url="http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/281180348392?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649"]1980's Vintage 62 RI Fender Jazz Stack Pot Bass - Fiesta Red - MINT CONDITION | eBay[/url]

I saw and played this at the Haslingdon guitar fair last weekend it was very nice indeed and he was prepared to sell for less for cash. I bought something else otherwise I would have had this. It had all the paperwork too.

[quote name='Rick's Fine '52' timestamp='1380839912' post='2231508']
Gone....Nice Fullerton reissue though, with one of the very few, decent pickguards........someone got a nice bass, at a fair price.
[/quote]
rick the sn was 41xxx - I do not think that is fullerton - do you? I wud estimate that it was made 1988ish :)

Edited by gareth

I read somewhere the only way to date the V's was neck off and look at the writing. My 62 RI was certainly that, neck stamp, body writing.
And will you lot sod off, I had the chance to push the button on this and hesitated overnight and it was gone :(
You ain't helping by reminding me :lol: :lol: :lol:

[quote name='gareth' timestamp='1381083860' post='2234203']
rick the sn was 41xxx - I do not think that is fullerton - do you? I wud estimate that it was made 1988ish :)
[/quote]
You're probably right, I didn't see the serial number. I know the red stackers were only made up to a certain year, and that tort guard is the same as the earlier ones, before they went to that awful material they still use today. So I assumed it was an '83ish one, but yes, the serial would suggest a much later example. As has been mentioned, you have to strip these things to see the real year, as the V0***** serial numbers seemed to run forever, from '83 to '89 even. That's why the V00**** numbers are so pricey nowadays, as they are all first year '82's. Pots would also tell you if you didn't want to take the neck off. Nice bass someone has snagged though (Sorry Karlfer!! :P)

[quote name='Rick's Fine '52' timestamp='1381095580' post='2234392']
You're probably right, I didn't see the serial number. I know the red stackers were only made up to a certain year, and that tort guard is the same as the earlier ones, before they went to that awful material they still use today. So I assumed it was an '83ish one, but yes, the serial would suggest a much later example. As has been mentioned, you have to strip these things to see the real year, as the V0***** serial numbers seemed to run forever, from '83 to '89 even. That's why the V00**** numbers are so pricey nowadays, as they are all first year '82's. Pots would also tell you if you didn't want to take the neck off. Nice bass someone has snagged though (Sorry Karlfer!! :P)
[/quote]
I remember seeing a chart on fender forum some time ago that plotted usa vintage reissue sn's against year of manufacture and it broadly showed that the fullerton basses went beyond 10000 to about 14000. I have been unable to find this chart and if I find it I will post it on basschat. Regarding pot dates the story is that fender bought a whole load all dated 83 that were used on basses assembled after 1983 - so just cos the pots are dated 83 does not mean its an 83 bass - I suppose the same goes for body and neck dates too

ok so here is the thread that contained the chart - [url="http://www.fenderforum.com/forum.html?db=&topic_number=477866&offset=66"]http://www.fenderforum.com/forum.html?db=&topic_number=477866&offset=66[/url] - but it has disappeared as you can see - what you can see is the other posts - many of these showing owners with sns sub 40000 which were not fullerton