Why become a member? ×

Plat Pro woe woe and thrice woe

Happy Jack

I've been using a Fishman Platinum Pro which I bought new when I took up DB - maybe three years ago. It's been very well looked-after, done at most a couple of dozen gigs, and I check the on-board 9V battery frequently.

Set up in a rush for a gig on Thursday, and there was a DI box already virtually hard-cabled in position so phantom power wasn't an option. No worries, I've got a 9V battery for that.

Plugged in - nowt. No signal getting through the unit, not even as far as the Tuner Out, let alone to the board. On the other hand, I got that little flicker of the red Clip lamp as I plugged in which tells you that there's power present.

Must be the cable. Tried another one - nowt. No signal getting through the unit, not even as far as the Tuner Out, let alone to the board. On the other hand, I got that little flicker of the red Clip lamp as I plugged in which tells you that there's power present.

Must be the battery. Tried another one - nowt. No signal getting through the unit, not even as far as the Tuner Out, let alone to the board. On the other hand, I got that little flicker of the red Clip lamp as I plugged in which tells you that there's power present.

Gave up, and played the gig without the Plat Pro.

I've just been faffing around in my studio, and it's now definite that everything is hunky dory except that it simply won't run on a 9V battery. I didn't do anything silly at the gig, plug the wrong cable into the wrong socket, flick a switch I shouldn't have touched etc. It just won't work.

Any suggestions?

I know this one! The mounting nut for the input jack can work loose causing your jack plug to not quite reach the contacts. You might have to do a bit of disassembly to tighten it up properly, but it'll work fine afterwards.I ended up replacing the stock nuts with lower profile ones, not had a problem since.