Why become a member? ×

Software for dropping the tone of an original recording - help needed.

Gunsfreddy2003

Hi all,

I have been using the Jam Up app on the iPad for a while and have to say it is great for rehearsing songs as it has some really good features. One of the most useful is being able to drop the tone of an original recording tone dome or up in semi-tone steps. I use this a lot as our singer has a lowish tone and we normally have to shift things down a bit for her to be comfortable.

Problem I have is that since upgrading to iOS 7 on the iPad the jam function on Jam Up has stopped working. The bass signal goes in fine but in the jam section where you play along to the record as soon as you play back the track the bass signal cuts out which makes the whole thing useless as you can't hear yourself!

I have looked on the web and it seems like there are some major issues with iOS 7 and music making apps so guess a patch will fix it in due course. However I am having to learn two new tunes for Weds and need to find something else to use for one that can drop the tone so that I can play along.

Anyone got any ideas or recommendation for something that you use that works well?

Trying this out now! Where is the pitch shifting tool - not obvious on first glance!

Thanks

[quote name='51m0n' timestamp='1381147538' post='2234895']
Reaper, Mac or PC, has buit in pitch shifting, and retuning vst effects (that are a fair bit better than those in Audacity)...
[/quote]

[quote name='Twigman' timestamp='1381165111' post='2235251']Melodyne every time[/quote]

Melodyne is great software but perhaps an expensive option for occasional use, or just for the purpose of practicing.

In this case I'd recommend Audacity or Reaper. Although I work with MIDI files outputted from Melodyne a lot at the moment and can certainly vouch for it's quality.