Why become a member? ×

Multi tasking

aende

Hi All,

As a relative newbie to bass, I am still feeling my way around various styles of playing. However, I got to thinking about tone.

The covers band that I play in play a variety of music; Motown, old rock and roll, heavy rock, funk, jazz and blues.

My GK 1001 RB 2 and GK RBX 410 covers most of this, except the Jazz, motown and where an upright bass was used.

My question is this;

Do, I adjust my finger style to try and emulate those sounds and keep my rig simple, or should I bang in a couple of effects (like and EQ to get the jazzier and fatter tones?

The first port of call when you want a different tone etc should always be your hands, imo (unless you're trying to replicate Hysteria :blink:). If that doesn't work out for you, you could try some pedals. The GK gear tends to be quite intense on the high-mids which might be why you aren't finding it massively appropriate for Motown. You could try cutting more high-mids on your amp and boosting some low-mids and see if that helps.