Why become a member? ×

Manufacturer Support of gear

aende

[color=#000000][font=verdana, geneva, lucida,]I have a GK RBX 410, Unfortunately, I have had a speaker let go; it appears that the coil has lost control of the cone, i.e. the movement is way more than it should be for the given volume compared to the other speakers. I use a GK 1001RB ii head and the bi-amp function.

As such, I went to the UK GK distributor for a replacement speaker; cue the problem...

The part number: 082-0460-A (Paragon 32 ohm 200W 10" driver) is not available anymore and the recommended replacement is part number 082-0470-B (Neo 32 ohm 200w).

My problem is 2 fold;

1, the Neo speaker appears to have a different range and bandwidth to the original paragon speaker - see the neo 410 cabinet specs

2, The Neo speaker is more expensive than the RBH speaker of the same specification ($139 for the Neo and $129 for the RBH)

The RBX cab is ~4 or 5 years old. The original OEM speaker has already gone out of support and availability within 5 years, I cannot get a reasonably priced replacement that is exactly the same spec as the others.....

What gives Gallien Krueger? 5 years old and completely out of support for the OEM parts?

I have ordered and fitted RBH speaker (the eminence designed one) as at least it fits in with the range of the OEM speakers and is cheaper than the NEO - I am also aware that the RBH range is very long lived, wonder how long before the Neo specs change and parts again become unavailable.

The only problem is that the grill touches the cork edging to the speaker - I will mount the grill on rubber gromits to move it away.

I am now considering replacing all the speakers with Eminence B810 or the RBH speakers.....at considerable cost, just so that the cabinet remains balanced. I loved the tone of it and fear it now being ruined by the fact that it is out of support so quickly.

General question; How long would you expect your bass gear to remain in support from your manufacturer with part availability?[/font][/color]

[color=#000000][size=4]**As a major troll...I have this question also on talkbass.....hoping RAG will answer![/size][/color]

Edited by aende

[quote name='aende' timestamp='1382003173' post='2246505']
5 years old and completely out of support for the OEM parts?
[/quote]

Manufacturing companies that I've previously worked in try to keep enough spares to satisfy need for 5 years.

However, sometimes an OEM can go out of business or change their products, either of which can undermine the best of service intentions.

I will try and get the driver repaired; already mailed a few people.

I got a mail from GK saying that the supported replacement for the RBX range was the NEO driver. They also stated that it would definitely change the tone of the cabinet, something I was keen to avoid.

From the UK GK distributer:

NEO 200w 32 ohm - £125 + vat
RBH 200w 32 ohm - £103 +vat

I could just replace with all RBH drivers (as they have been a mainstay of the GK line for a long time) or buy a new cab....