Why become a member? ×

Post your pictures, Lets see what you all look like.

As a cellist playing in an orchestra, I don't get to have the glamorous get ups or stage set up. Most concerts tend to be in churches as there are so few venues that can take an orchestra and have space for audience.

IMG_3931.thumb.JPG.7383316013679a03a00f603d776d1013.JPG

Image.thumb.jpg.d2b9393589841ab04ff30733dafe4590.jpg

• Like 10

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, zbd1960 said:

As a cellist playing in an orchestra, I don't get to have the glamorous get ups or stage set up. Most concerts tend to be in churches as there are so few venues that can take an orchestra and have space for audience.

IMG_3931.thumb.JPG.7383316013679a03a00f603d776d1013.JPG

Image.thumb.jpg.d2b9393589841ab04ff30733dafe4590.jpg

One of mates has a Led Zep tribute band that's been running quite a few years but approx 5-6yrs ago they went acoustic Led Zep bringing in a violin and 2 cello players with him on mainly acoustic guitars and singer. They also brought in a female backing singer and they've played the same theatre style venues they did as the full Led Zep tribute band. One of the cello players has the traditional wood cello and the other a carbon fibre type and they do definitely sound quite different. They cover the bass parts of the Zep songs on the cello's and do a fantastic job. The guy with carbon cello (think his first name is Callum) is a pure showman with long dreadlocks etc and he's extremely entertaining to watch. He changes from bow to plucking the cello with so much ease and both get their little solo spots. He has played the Albert Hall as part of an orchestra tribute to the legendary Jack Bruce.  

Have to say it opened up my eyes to cello players and their ability. He is also very good at doing ad-lib.

Dave

Edited by dmccombe7
  • Like 4

7 hours ago, dmccombe7 said:

One of mates has a Led Zep tribute band that's been running quite a few years but approx 5-6yrs ago they went acoustic Led Zep bringing in a violin and 2 cello players with him on mainly acoustic guitars and singer. They also brought in a female backing singer and they've played the same theatre style venues they did as the full Led Zep tribute band. One of the cello players has the traditional wood cello and the other a carbon fibre type and they do definitely sound quite different. They cover the bass parts of the Zep songs on the cello's and do a fantastic job. The guy with carbon cello (think his first name is Callum) is a pure showman with long dreadlocks etc and he's extremely entertaining to watch. He changes from bow to plucking the cello with so much ease and both get their little solo spots. He has played the Albert Hall as part of an orchestra tribute to the legendary Jack Bruce.  

Have to say it opened up my eyes to cello players and their ability. He is also very good at doing ad-lib.

Dave

As I told Dave a few weeks back, I played with the Led Zep cello band around 2019. They are very good and it`s something different but it took them bloomin ages to soundcheck! :D

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

20 hours ago, dmccombe7 said:

Dave

The speed with which we have to switch from arco to pizz and vice-versa is daft at times. There are several techniques, depending on how quick you need to switch. Last week's Tchaikovsky had a passage that was all quavers, which were pizz. Every couple of bars one of the quavers was arco double stopped (i.e. two strings sounded together)... It wasn't a slow passage... 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

7 hours ago, shadven said:

Tampa, Florida US

IMG_0705.jpeg

That's a great photo! You couldn't get any more American than that - from the cut-off flannel shirt to the hat, not to mention the Fender bass / Mesa rig! 

But it does look cool...! 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 09/07/2024 at 03:29, dmccombe7 said:

I see a Mesa bass rig there too. Is that the WD800 and 215 cab ? How you finding it.

Dave

I sold it, because it sounded to modern. But, earlier this year I needed to go light and I bought two 115 Subway cabs. I love them. I often gig with just one. I should never have sold the 215.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, lozkerr said:

It is indeed a very sparkly Stingray. Shiny thing! Shiny thing! 😉

20240713_144620.jpg

That in a 4 string would be great in my Glam band. If it had a thinner neck :biggrin:

Can i ask out of curiosity where do set the on board EQ. I tend to set mine flat (centre detent) on active basses and adjust my amp to suit and that gives me on board adjustment if needed quickly.

I only ask because i once read that Stingray players tend to turn the Bass and Treble up quite a bit almost full to get that distinct Stingray tone.

Dave

Edited by dmccombe7

I thought I'd posted these up here already! Here's me playing Salisbury Live this year, we were the opening band for the whole event...so the audience was rather thin (but there was a bloke in a wheelchair who kept spinning round so we did alright 👍🏻).

I'm sporting a fetching Lakland 55-02 that I purchased here about 5 years ago.

It's Felis Leo btw, the band that is 😄

Pics by Christopher Jungo 

462A4661.thumb.png.cec7839d898b777a49b642db40dd6f79.png462A5113.thumb.png.f7e51f151b541b15e8d89dadeabeb46d.png

• Like 7