Why become a member? ×

Working out what to adjust

uncle psychosis

If the new buzzes are at either the top or the bottom of the neck then it's your tr. If they are spread pretty much over the length of the neck then it's your action. 9 times out of 10 it's your tr that needs adjusting after a string change (tension) unless you have gone for a vastly different diameter set then it will be both. Obvs, if you adjust the tr you then have to reset the intonation.

• 2 weeks later...

Be wary of using WD40. I used it on an Ibanez composite body and it interacted with the plastic, leaking throat wrenching fumes for months until I had to get rid of it. Wood neck and WD40 might be OK.

If you wnat a comprehensive guide to basic setup I wrote one for Scott's Bass Lessons a year or so ago. It's in this thread, part of the way down http://forums.scottsbasslessons.com/index.php?topic=727.msg3476#msg3476

I would loosen the strings before tightening the trussrod and try a little back and forth movement of the Allen key to try and free it up. Make sure you have the correct size Allen key!

[quote name='uncle psychosis' timestamp='1382224127' post='2249579']
Have it a go tonight. Unfortunately I think my truss rod is buggered, I couldn't get the damn thing to move.

Any tips for loosening them off or am I just going to have to raise the saddles and deal with high action? :-(
[/quote]