Why become a member? ×

EQ system for magnetic and piezo setup

franzbassist

So, there's definitely something up with my bass, as every now and then it emits a strange squeal. Previous diagnosis here on BC has suggested a failing piezo element (still possible) and an induction loop in the venue (not possible!), but I want to get it sorted.

I'll have someone try and sort it first, but if no joy is to be found, can anyone recommend a preamp setup that will allow me to combine a magnetic and piezo pickup, on a volume, blend and tone three pot setup?

Cheers

Gareth

Have a look at the Bartolini MPB2-918. I think that would do the job quite nicely - I believe you can use it on its own ad wire straight to pots for a 'passive' set up or combine it with additional pre/eq. I nearly used it in my Piezo/Mag build but went a different route in the end, but it was recommended to me by Jon S. Info and wiring diagrams here [url="http://www.bestbassgear.com/bartolini-preamps-piezo-buffer.htm"]http://www.bestbassgear.com/bartolini-preamps-piezo-buffer.htm[/url]

Hi Gareth, I;'ve just installed a John East system in my mag+piezo fretless using the SPM-02 eq modules and MPM-01 buffer. Very pleased with the result. Mine is a 4 knob configuration (vol/blend, mid/freq, treble, bass) but something similar could be configured for 3 knobs using JE modules. The new MPM buffer is excellent.and allows for buffering and balancing of both mag and piezo signals before the vol/blend and eq chain. Drop me a pm if you like more details. Ian

The D Tar pickup in my Turner is fantastic - most natural piezo I've heard, but I think they come with their own (2x9v) preamp. Maybe drop them an email? They do all sorts of options for acoustic instruments, so I'm sure a mag input and balance wouldn't be a problem. Or John East (as above).

I've got the Bartolini circuit in my Clifton EUB and it is very clean and simple (only has a balance pot, and an internal trim to set the mag level).

I've also heard Bill Puplett is the beesnees for all things pickup and piezo?