Why become a member? ×

Fender Jazz MIA Deluxe - PUp Upgrade

danny-79

Was trying to sell it but for what it looks like im going to get for it, I'm going to keep it and thinking about upgrading the pup's but what to upgrade them with ? any suggestions ? has anybody (must of been) done this to this particular model, I just find it a bit "Thin" sounding

Gone up a string gauge, given it all the adjustments to match, apologised to it via a three stage polish to finish, and put it down about 30mins ago.

Still not 100% happy with it, the neck I can live with, the graphite reinforcement makes it worth while as it will stay ware you put it.
Only option I can think of would be to change the pickups and/or the preamp, but change to what ? want it to sound "Thicker" for lack of a better word ? Any suggestions

[quote name='Grangur' timestamp='1382246183' post='2249625']
There's some Seymour Duncan SDJ-1 pups for sale here right now. I'm on my mobile, otherwise I'd have posted a link.
[/quote]
Thanks, did find the advert, but have just spent out on a Mark Bass Octaver, but will keep eye on the for sales, thanks for the heads up!

[quote name='geoffbyrne' timestamp='1382558477' post='2253745']
If you want 'thicker' then why not do the 'pups in series' mod? I haven't got a diagram for it, but I'm sure someone here has.

Or change the pups for DiMarzio Model J's.

G.
[/quote]

That sounds worth trying, if anybody got a diagram it would be much appreciated .

Been spending a bit more time with it, gone up a gauge in strings and used it at band practice yesterday to give it another run out, used a different room this time so different amp (Ashdown with 2x15 as apposed to Warwick 1x15 + 4x10) it sounded a lot better through the Ashdown but still lacking ? how I think it should sound! about the best way I can put it .

Danny I have a Musicman and a MIA Jazz too. I know exactly what you mean. The thing is, the MM sound is fatter than anything, massive humbucker plus pre-amp. A passive Jazz isn't going to get close on its own.

you can upgrade the P/Us but the MIA Deluxe Jazz has some pretty tasty ones already. Mine is a 90s one with the Series/parallel mod already on (why did they stop?). you can do this, but I don't think it'll fix this - it just gives you an extra sound.

I put a J-Retro pre amp on mine - which transforms it by a huge amount, then I took it off again as it wasn;t for me.

The best thing you can do, in my humble opinion, is tweak your amp settings. If you approach form the perspective that your MM already has a pre-amp built in and the Jazz does not... you have to compensate for this with your amp settings

Whack that amp gain up loads for a start. - if its too loud back off the amps Master vol.
Do you do what most MM players do and turn all the knobs up to full? If you do then you're boosting loads of LF and HF - so do it on your amp instead, make a big smiley face with the graphic...
The Jazz bass is deliberately quite middly so it cuts through the mix, so add the fattness at the amp and it'll start to be on a par with your stingray's I reckon - just remeber to put the controls back when you plug the MM in again ;)

[quote name='danny-79' timestamp='1382564340' post='2253852']
That sounds worth trying, if anybody got a diagram it would be much appreciated .

Been spending a bit more time with it, gone up a gauge in strings and used it at band practice yesterday to give it another run out, used a different room this time so different amp (Ashdown with 2x15 as apposed to Warwick 1x15 + 4x10) it sounded a lot better through the Ashdown but still lacking ? how I think it should sound! about the best way I can put it .
[/quote]
Here's a diagram for a switchable version, but you'll find you need to have the gain on both pups at full. Turning either of them down will turn it all down.

I guess another option is to wire the switch so it wires the pups in series and takes the pots out of circuit; straight from the pups to the jack.

But all if the best solution isn't simply to adjust the EQ anyway.

Edited by Grangur

Here's a better circuit for the switch. It means that having one vol. turned down doesn't suddenly make the bass go silent when you switch it in - believe me on a gig you don't need the hassle!
[attachment=147173:ser-par-lp-N.gif]

Ignore the part about the pickup switch, just go to the volume controls after the series switch

Even with a Push/Pull its still a switch, it's just attached to the pot so you don't need any extra holes.

However, as I've said, you'll get a fat, dark sound from in-series. But I think setting up your amp differently will yield a better and more versatile overall sound :)

Edited by brensabre79

Hi and thanks for reply's, The MIA Deluxe is an 18v pre amp (not 100% sure but possibly 9V x2 one for each PUP)
The Controls are :
Volume.
PU-Blend
Stacked pot Bass & Treb
Mid Boost.

Its just very fiddly to get a "Balanced sound" no volume spikes across the range of it.
The PU height is set to recommended hight, recently been checked again when changed string gauge.
There is plenty of "Boom" on the E' String open, but kind of loses pace as it goes along, have lowered the bass side a little rather than raising the high side but still sounds thin to me, hollow even (just trying to find best word to describe it with).

In all honesty the problem is me! Too used to playing my Stingray's, rather be playing a Stingray so with that mind set there are going to be issues with any other bass.
I generally set mine (there both 3x band)
Bass - Full
Mid - Centre
Treb - Just off centre +

Rough amp settings: 0-10
Bass - 7
Mid - 7
High Mid 150-200Hz so about 1-2
Treb - 4
Gain an Preamp volume set to half so 5.

And that with the stingray is just great!
Maby need to try and do more with the High Mid,? just think it sounds better rolled off but,could be too much or not enough for the Jazz ?