Why become a member? ×

J Retro 01 output question

leroybasslines

Just a quick question from a technophobe...

I've installed a J Retro 01 in my Lakland 5560. I've always wound the volume knob up to full, as you do on a standard passive bass but I've begun to notice that the bass is distorting and dropping the input volume on my amp (PJB suitcase) doesn't cancel it out: the signal still clips.

Am I just sending too strong a signal to my amp? Do I need to get in the habit of rolling the volume back on the bass? The installation manual talks about adjusting the gain signal on the preamp itself, but I don't think it can be lowered, only boosted.

Any tips and tech advice suited for an idiot would be gratefully received!

[quote name='leroybasslines' timestamp='1382522572' post='2253079']
Just a quick question from a technophobe...

I've installed a J Retro 01 in my Lakland 5560. I've always wound the volume knob up to full, as you do on a standard passive bass but I've begun to notice that the bass is distorting and dropping the input volume on my amp (PJB suitcase) doesn't cancel it out: the signal still clips.

Am I just sending too strong a signal to my amp? Do I need to get in the habit of rolling the volume back on the bass? The installation manual talks about adjusting the gain signal on the preamp itself, but I don't think it can be lowered, only boosted.

Any tips and tech advice suited for an idiot would be gratefully received!
[/quote]

Ask John East mate, he's incredibly helpful. Have you replaced the battery?

If I recall, I had this trouble.

There are some little micro volume presets inside for the two pickups. My first instinct was to wind these up all the way but I had distortion troubles because of the pickups being quite 'hot' - I think they are little blue ones you adjust with an electricians screwdriver. Turn them down and you should be clean fine.

Thanks guys. When I get a moment I'll check the output settings. If all else fails I'll bother Mr East! I always feel guilty though: he must get loads of emails from people like me!

The preamp was previously in my old Fender MIM Jazz V and didn't have any probs. I'm guessing the Lakland pups are a bit hotter, hence the massive output...

Edited by leroybasslines