Why become a member? ×

Jazz songs for a newbie (well sort of)

Damonjames

So for the last 3 months I have been working my ass off in a start up covers act which was going to be a belting band.... Until the singer walked on Monday.

So with the band on agreed hiatus, I have come to the realisation that I have spent most of my playing years trying to learn to play by playing other people's music, and at the age of 34 I have not found my own "voice" yet. So in attempt to find out who I am musically ( I realise I am starting to sound like a bit of a w@£ker but bare with me) I have decided to go on a music fast.

For the next three months I am NOT going to play anyone else's bass lines, and I will be VERY selective about what music I let enter my ears. I am going to learn the theory I always swore I would get around to one day with the help of some books, the amazing Scott Devine and his online tutelage, and a lot of patience!

But this brings me to the point of this post, I need some advice on creating a greatest hit cd with which to feed my mind and inspire me to greater things. Now most of us as bassists will admit that the most proficient of us have out roots in the jazz genre, but as someone from the other side of the fence, I could use a little help with this mix tape to save my soul!
Now I'm tipping that pastorius and Jameson etc will feature quite high, I could use some specific jazz tracks to inspire me on to greater things. Having said that if someone wants to put forward some Bernard Hopkins, Bootsie Collins or Larry Graham chops, there would be no objections here!

Thanks for your help guys n gals,

Naive rock/metal bassist!!

Edited by Damonjames

Listen to Upright players too. Dave Young playing with Oscar Peterson here (track really kicks off at about 2:30 and Dave Young's solo is fantastic);

http://youtu.be/wzMD---rmtk

Also listen to Eddie Gomez, Ray Brown and John Patitucci. I'll leave the rest open for someone else to make suggestions lol.