Why become a member? ×

Rory Gallagher/ Ian Rankin Collaboration - Kickback City

Donnyboy

I've been reading about this on a Rory forum. I'm a massive RG fan.

RG was a major crime novel fan, and apparently this is how the project came about.

The recent remasters of his albums sound excellent, and if it brings new fans to his work, then that's great.

Has anybody on here been to see the 'Band Of Friends'? I'm a bit put off as it looks like a tribute act - I think Gerry's playing was/is great, and Ted McKenna on drums is a draw, but the frontman just looks like an RG impersonator to me....right down to the dress sense and identical Strat! :o[size=4] [/size]

[quote name='spongebob' timestamp='1382630963' post='2254723']
I've been reading about this on a Rory forum. I'm a massive RG fan.

RG was a major crime novel fan, and apparently this is how the project came about.

The recent remasters of his albums sound excellent, and if it brings new fans to his work, then that's great.

Has anybody on here been to see the 'Band Of Friends'? I'm a bit put off as it looks like a tribute act - I think Gerry's playing was/is great, and Ted McKenna on drums is a draw, but the frontman just looks like an RG impersonator to me....right down to the dress sense and identical Strat! :o
[/quote]

I'd say go. I saw them earlier this year. Not really a tribute band, more a 'homage' if that makes sense. The guitarist is an American, barely said a word between songs and didn't really try to be Rory.
It's very much Gerry's show and he has some cracking anecdotes.

Interesting, not sure about the Band of Friends,exactly because of the "New Rory" thing. Hair,checked shirt,battered Strat. Id feel more comfortable if he didn't look/perform like the great G Man.
That aside I too am a big Gerry McAvoy fan, and always thought that Ted McKenna was by far Rory's best drummer.

[quote name='Donnyboy' timestamp='1382638275' post='2254895']
Interesting, not sure about the Band of Friends,exactly because of the "New Rory" thing. Hair,checked shirt,battered Strat. Id feel more comfortable if he didn't look/perform like the great G Man.
That aside I too am a big Gerry McAvoy fan, and always thought that Ted McKenna was by far Rory's best drummer.
[/quote]

Know what you mean, but the chance to hear and see Ted and Gerry working together - got be worth the misgivings?

I got the chance to have a beer with the band after the show and I got the distinct feeling that it wasn't the guitarist's preference to dress up like Rory. For one thing, he's about a foot taller!