Why become a member? ×

Thinking of going to a multi effects pedal...

aj5string

Hi all,

I currently run a combination of catalinbread, pigtronix, MXR and source audio pedals but am thinking about chopping them in for a multi effects unit. Mainly for ease, logistics, everything being in one place etc

Has anyone done a similar thing? Thoughts, experiences and opinions?

Looking at the Boss BT6b/GT10B, Zoom B3 and Line 6 M9. Won't use any of the amp/speaker sims, just effects - compressor(s), fuzz, overdrive, and filters... maybe some octave too. I like the idea of being able to have presets for a cover set list, and alos being able to turn individual effects on/off as and when.

Or is it too good to be true!?

Yes I did this a number of years ago. I've used a Zoom B2 for a number of years after using a BF 707.
I don't actually use it for any distortion though, I mainly use it for muted tuning, and for an 'autowah' patch - I use my amp's valve pre for my driven sound at all gigs.
I do have a chorus and phaser patch set up for occasional use.

See - my main things are compression (I am really into my compressions) and I'm hearing good things about the compression models in a lot of multi-fx. Filters I like, and I use fuzz and OD for a number of songs in the function band I play in. My amp is dual channel, so I can just set the tube channel up with some grit/OD... I mainly play in function bands, so its no big song changing sounds - but subtle additions.

Hmmmm....

[quote name='xgsjx' timestamp='1383119032' post='2260283']
You might want to keep a dirt pedal as multi units don't seem to be so good at them.
[/quote]

+1

I have found multi's great for non-dirt effects, but generally very second rate at overdrives and distortions. Although fuzzes seem to be easier to replicate as I have found good fuzzes on a number of multis.

Also, to the OP, if running dirt on your amp, you are probably not going to want any filters going before that, as most people like dirt before filters, Decent multi's have FX loops in though, so a dirt pedal or two works well in the FX loop of the multi, using compression before dirt and then filters etc after the loop.

Edited by hamfist

As hamfist suggests, get multi dc with a loop and stick an of pedal in. the fuzz on my multifx are ok but distortion and od are pretty poor. all the other fx are really quite decent though!

I returned to multifx after 10 years without one and theyve came on immensely ime.