Why become a member? ×

Ashdown vs Genz 410 to pair with Genz Shuttlemax 9.2

TheDaivisch

To cut a long story short, I'm selling 2x Vanderkley 112MNT cabs to free up some money for a honeymoon and I want to replace them both with 1x reasonably priced 410 cab and pair it with my Genz Shuttlemax 9.2 (900 watts @4ohms/500 watts @8ohms). The two that I have my eye on are:

[url="http://ashdownmusic.com/products/1/Bass-Amplification/2/ABM/23/ABM-410H-Cabinet-/"]http://ashdownmusic.com/products/1/Bass-Amplification/2/ABM/23/ABM-410H-Cabinet-/[/url]

and

[url="http://www.gak.co.uk/en/genz-benz-fcs-410t/71124"]http://www.gak.co.uk/en/genz-benz-fcs-410t/71124[/url]

I like Genz speakers but have found some of their cabs a little too smooth or dark in certain frequencies (having owned a Neo 212), so I'm kind of leaning towards the Ashdown. I've played a 210 Ashdown combo at a practice studio and was pleasantly surprised (having always looked down on Ashdown a little as a budget brand).

What are your thoughts?

Dave

I wouldn't exclude the MAG series of ashdown cabs if you're considering ashdown - there's not a huge difference between ABM and the MAGs in reality. Agree with the above, try them out (ideally at rehearsal/gig if you can). If weight is a factor, I'd go for the genz though as there's a bit of a saving.

An ashdown cab will just choke your shuttlemax imo, the neo2x12 is basically just a pa cab so I can't see how it would be smooth or dark, it can do smooth and it can do dark, but if you put a gritty ampeg simulator through it then it would do that too. You get out what you put in imo, ask someone with a streamliner 900 if they find a lack of grit for example :D

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1383158563' post='2261011']
An ashdown cab will just choke your shuttlemax imo, the neo2x12 is basically just a pa cab so I can't see how it would be smooth or dark, it can do smooth and it can do dark, but if you put a gritty ampeg simulator through it then it would do that too. You get out what you put in imo, ask someone with a streamliner 900 if they find a lack of grit for example :D
[/quote]

Isn't sound a little bit objective? :) The 212 had lots of clarity and a a very full range, just to my ears, at least with my bass/setup, it sounded like there was a slight scoop in the upper mids which I don't find with my Vanderkley.

What makes you say that the Ashdown will choke the Genz? Frequency response? Experience?

Dave

I think going from a pretty well regarded 2x12 which is fairly clear, although still voiced for bass guitar, to Ashdown, or indeed Vanderkley to Ashdown, you might lose some definition and clarity.

The hi mid tone will just be Vanderkley's voicing of their cabs. A lot of hi mid can in a sense make a cab seems very clear/unforgiving as the detail comes through.

As I am an aggressive rock fingerstyle player in a bass heavy band where I need to cut through, I need some decent mids. How about a second hand Markbass STD 104HR? Any experience of the relative tone of these?

Edited by TheDaivisch

[quote name='TheDaivisch' timestamp='1383212575' post='2261507']

Isn't sound a little bit objective? :) The 212 had lots of clarity and a a very full range, just to my ears, at least with my bass/setup, it sounded like there was a slight scoop in the upper mids which I don't find with my Vanderkley.

What makes you say that the Ashdown will choke the Genz? Frequency response? Experience?

Dave
[/quote]
I have owned and used loads of Ashdown gear, they sound like someone forgot to take the packing box off before using them, loads of guys on here say they don't lack any top end usually the guys playing a p bass with flats using their thumb and with a foam mute behind
the strings!

The Genz can recreate that if you put a woolly amp through it but putting your Genz into an Ashdown cab won't get rid of the dull cab, it might have more top than a full Ashdown rig and it might even be enough for your tastes but that's what i mean by choked, something which will not allow the full Genz range to flow through, choked. :D

Edited by stingrayPete1977