Why become a member? ×

I just don't like the VM Squiers

Lowender

[quote name='dave_bass5' timestamp='1383337544' post='2263441']
The VM feels lighter, and i do equate that to cheapness,[/quote]

Hmmm... you might want to avoid a Mike Lull bass then... :D Most of them are under 8lbs! :o They should be [b][i]really[/i][/b] cheap!

[quote name='Conan' timestamp='1384354969' post='2275614']
Hmmm... you might want to avoid a Mike Lull bass then... :D Most of them are under 8lbs! :o They should be [b][i]really[/i][/b] cheap!
[/quote]

Haha, i will definitely avoid those, and any of the over priced (for me) boutique basses. I see no need ever to pay that much for a bass.
I do understand what you are saying though, but knowing the VM cost less than £250 only adds to the fact that i know its cheap.

[quote name='dave_bass5' timestamp='1384353759' post='2275599']
I love my Squier VM, Its pretty much become my only bass now.
I took the Fralin out of the CV P and took the neck off the CV Jazz lol. Now its not only lovely to look at, its very comfortable and familiar to play, with the tone ive been used to, and with the added Jazz growl/burp thrown in.

[url="http://www.flickr.com/photos/davebass5/10365241106/"][/url]
[url="http://www.flickr.com/photos/davebass5/10365241106/"]Squier Vintage Modified PJ Bass[/url] by [url="http://www.flickr.com/people/davebass5/"]Dave Pearce (London)[/url], on Flickr
[/quote]

So you like VM's as long as the neck and pups are replaced???

[quote name='Lowender' timestamp='1384378427' post='2276061']

So you like VM's as long as the neck and pups are replaced???
[/quote]

Nope. I just love it more now I have done the mods, and mainly as it feels more familiar and more to my liking. If I didn't have the mods to put on it already I wouldn't have bothered changing any of the parts. It's a great bass in its own right but I prefer jazz necks, and I like the tone of the rain. None of that is a reflection on the bass, and there wouldn't really be any off the peg alternative with those specifications anyway. I'd probably do the same with a MIA bass if I felt like it.

I think we need to be clear on a few things. The vm range has had a few rebirths. The latest run are cheap and difficult to work with I will agree. However the earlier vm range is excellent. They are not on a par with the cv range as the cvs are amazing guitars and well worth the extra money but they are very good entry to intermediate guitars. I've had 2 of the new ones pass through here and I have to say I was surprised at how they felt like affinity guitars. It's as if there's no substance to the wood or the pups. The old dd pups were great. I dunno what's gone wrong but someone at Squier has lost the concept. Anyway if youre buying vm buy old.

Edited by the boy

[quote name='the boy' timestamp='1384429092' post='2276529']
I think we need to be clear on a few things. The vm range has had a few rebirths. The latest run are cheap and difficult to work with I will agree. However the earlier vm range is excellent. They are not on a par with the cv range as the cvs are amazing guitars and well worth the extra money but they are very good entry to intermediate guitars. I've had 2 of the new ones pass through here and I have to say I was surprised at how they felt like affinity guitars. It's as if there's no substance to the wood or the pups. The old dd pups were great. I dunno what's gone wrong but someone at Squier has lost the concept. Anyway if youre buying vm buy old.
[/quote]

Maybe there's some variability here? I replaced my (fundamentally) Chinese Affinity P bass with a VM77 and they are chalk and cheese. The Affinity originally had a very weak pup, crap tuners, a single ply pick guard and the body was very lightweight. The VM77 is built like a tank in comparison at 9.5lbs, has a 3 ply guard, hot pups (though they will get changed as I prefer more mellow) and good tuners. I'm not a Fender/Squier fanboi but it seems pretty good to me for the cash.

Oh, my VM is a 2013 model made in Indonesia...

Edited by martthebass