Why become a member? ×

Head or Power & Pre

Stealth

What do you think? I have found a cab that fits the bill Schroeder 21012L. Has the characteristic middle bump buts loads of bottom too. Rated 1000w 4ohm. I'm Playing pubs and clubs no PA support. Weight is not really a problem. Budget is a max £1500 less is more :)

Sans amp RBI & power amp which ?
Markbass TT 500
One of the crop of 100w valve heads that have popped up CTM / V4B

Confused.com here .........

[quote name='Ghost_Bass' timestamp='1383585907' post='2266249']
From my recent experience i would say that a Pre+power setup beats a amp head. You have more of everything ;)
[/quote] I was looking at separate pre and power amps - but power amps are a whole new ball game that I don't majorly understand and aren't discussed much on here. WOuld I have to start visiting lots of PA forums to understand?

The main thing to watch for when using a decent power amp is that your preamp is up to scratch in terms of output level - pro power amps are designed for pro output level, they usually state the input sensitivity as part of the spec. Strangely, lots of bass preamps don't seem designed to match these.
If you get it right then a pre+power amp combination beats most dedicated bass amps IMO.