Why become a member? ×

Recording with flatwounds

Jigster

What in people's estimation is essential in the EQing of a good RECORDED flatwound sound? I ask because I have just done some recording which is currently unmixed, [b]so to be fair all I've heard is a rough [/b] - but it strikes me that however the engineer approaches the mix, and then also the mastering, that the flatwounds currently sound a little dead, drab, and muddy. I KNOW in many ways that's a flatwound sound, but when playing through my amp I can EQ it to get a lovely woody sound which has the flatwound vibe but a sweet crispy break up also - and that's gone missing right now.

It was recorded on my Ibanez Musician, into the desk first off and then re-amped through my TC rig.

I guess I'm just asking for a few tips, I'm not aux fait in any way with engineering, but I'm thinking the untreated sound right now is lacking any mid-range and that might be a way to go?

Thanks for any input.

It's a problem I come across a lot. Many engineers EQ 'em like rounds by default.

[quote name='Jigster' timestamp='1383416180' post='2264299']
but when playing through my amp I can EQ it to get a lovely woody sound which has the flatwound vibe but a sweet crispy break up also - and that's gone missing right now.
[/quote]

Make a point of demonstrating this to the engineer. 'This is what my bass sounds like...'. Flats are all about mids.

Surely if it`s gone through the amp it should have your sound spot on - if not this would indicate your speakers are responsible for colouring a lot of the sound so from there it`s going to be a try it and see, though sweet crispy break-up to me sounds like adding mids in, and possibly getting a touch of added drive, if the studio has this, which most have now.

Edited by Lozz196

It's more to do with the preconceptions of the engineer. They probably deal with rounds 90% of the time, so when someone pops up totin' flats, they try their best to get it sounding like rounds. And it ends up sounding terrible.

When you get an engineer who understands flats, it's a joy.

All IME, of course.

@WOT: Well the engineer was fascinated by the flats on my bass ha ha! He's a bass player also, but has never used flats.

[size=4]@LOZZ, re. the sound I like from my amp: I've probs missed a trick a bit in that there is also a (very good) producer on board who, when we re-amped, EQed the amp as it played out. So I think my 'sound' has been diminished somewhat. I think it is partly inexperience of recording on my part (I should have piped up, but like I said I don't consider myself in any way au fait with the processes) but I think it will be about what WOT says, ie. the the flats will need considered eq[/size]

• 2 weeks later...

The mix engineer will need to 'sit' the bass with the kik i.e. decide which will win the low end battle then from there they'll be able to shape the mids around the rest of the track. A touch of drive/distortion, such as PT LoFi plug will help bring the bass out more. You could speak to the mix engineer about your concerns. As a general rule they'll be happy to receive guidance on how a track should sound - reference material is v. useful!