Why become a member? ×

Does any one know of a simple gain booster circuit?

Hey guys (and gals...)

I've been recently thinking of getting rid of my Morley DB Wah to get an old Power Boost Wah (tel ray era) but i've taken a step back and though a: it's pointless and b: they're hard as hell to get hold of for a decent price with 240v transformer.

So, I decided i'm going to mod my DB Wah. What I want to do to it is add in a switchable gain boost circuit before the wah filter. I used to use a gain booster pedal in an old pedal board that I ran in to a wah pedal then ran the wah in to an EHX big bass muff. Loved the bite that the extra gain gave the wah and it really was noticeable. I would just do that again but i'm trying to keep things compacted down in the pedal department. Less to move around and I'm set on doing this.

I opened up the wah this evening and found that there is LOADS of room to add this mod in to and it seems simple enough.

Basically, i want a simple gain boost circuit with a latching footswitch and a potentiometer to control the amount of gain boost and as it's going to be powered off the inlet from the actual pedal, I want to have an LED indicator. Reason I want it switchable is because I like to have it running clean some times too.

Is any one able to help with this? I'd be really appreciative if someone could help.

Thanks!

MXR micro amp circuits are readily available, and any half decent effects builder could make you one. It's quite likely that there are builders about who already make clones as part of their range. Or alternatively you could probably find a micro amp clone originating in the Far East for very little and gut that for the board.

[quote name='Biaeothanata-Bassist' timestamp='1383698315' post='2268000']
Damn it, doesn't have an LED and I really need an indicator on it!
[/quote]

There's a link on that page to a blog where adding a led is explained, plus a few other tips. Have a closer look...