Why become a member? ×

TRADED Tanglewood Baron, Barts PJ, East U Retro
£450

juliusmonk

Hi

For sale this rare instrument I got from BCer chuckstones a while ago. Just because I really need to reduce my collection now.

It is a 1996 limited edition instrument and allegedly one of the best basses Tanglewood has ever produced. This is easily on par with basses two or three times as expensive (and I've had a few).

Neck through, with a beautiful grain in the 5-piece neck (wenge), rosewood fingerboard, brass nut, Bartolini PUs in PJ configuration, and the slimmest (maple) body I have ever seen! Immaculate construction, reminds me of 80's neckthrough basses built in Japan, but much lighter. The neck is a breeze to play, again very flat and slim. The tone is very punchy, growly and modern, not too far away from Warwick or Spector. It basically plays itself. It has had an East U retro deluxe pre fitted, so concentric vol/bal, concentric hi/lo (push pull for bright), concentric mid/mid freq, push pull on tone knob for active/passive. Needless to say, the range of possible sounds is astonishing. Set up with very low action. Gold Gotoh hardware. Weighs a bit less than 4 kg.

I'd easily keep it, but I have too many basses, and a new arrival means this one has to go.

Original sales thread here:

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/144329-sold-to-juliusmonk-fs-tanglewood-baron-bass-limited-edition-with-east-pre-amp/"]http://basschat.co.u...h-east-pre-amp/[/url]

Will include the original EMG Select PUs the bass came with.

The bass is in very good condition, hardware slightly tarnished, some dings (see pics below for the most apparent on sides of the body, small anyway) and some scratches near the input jack (again see pic below).

So, lovers of modern tones, slim bodies and necks (and brand agnostics), here's a good chance to grab a phenomenal bass for little money.

Shipping from Barcelona included, in a standard hard case (or gig bag if preferred). Check my feedback here on BC if in doubt.

Any questions, just pm please.

Thanks!

Updated pic with Bartolini PUs:

Edited by juliusmonk

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='juliusmonk' timestamp='1386782255' post='2304487']
Ah... Tempting... But it should be sherwood or teal green with a maple f'board... If such a thing exists...

I just recorded a video with it and I'm having second thoughts myself :)
[/quote]

P.s. I've got the maple board, nothing a bucket of paint can't fix for the body ;)

It's amazing how little attention this bass gets, but until you've tried it, I think the name puts people off... I can testify that this is a killer bass for the money; you could easily spend 2 or 3 times the amount and get a bass that's not built as well, plays as fast or sounds as good. Carlos is also a delight to deal with. That said, I'm angling to buy this back if I can raise the cash...

Have a bump for a much better than you'd ever expect bass.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...