Why become a member? ×

Withdrawn - Fender Hot Rodded Precision 1999 - Stereo with Seymour Duncans
£650

The Dark Lord

[i][color=#ff0000][font=Helvetica][What was I thinking?][/font][/color][/i]

[font=Helvetica]For sale, my 1999 Fender Hot Rodded Precision bass. Black with a maple fingerboard.[/font]

[media]http://www.flickr.com/photos/91866150@N00/sets/72157637421947834/[/media]

It has Seymour Duncan SJB1 and SPB1 pickups.

Stereo output. Individual volume and tone controls for each of the pickups.

String thru body. Cosmetically top-notch with no dings or buckle rash anywhere.

Comes with Hiscox case.

Looking for £650.

This is a real belter of a bass. Looks fantastic and has a really strong sound. Flexible too, as you can blend in the volume and tone of each pickup individually (something you can’t normally do on a Fender PJ). I usually use the Precision pickup on full-bore with a touch of the Jazz pickup – I roll the tone off the Jazz a little and then dial in the volume until it just starts to make a different to the tone.

Some history of the bass:
I purchased the bass on here in August 2011. At that point, it was supposedly a “stock” Hot Rodded model with three knobs on the scratchplate (volume, volume, tone) and a single side jack. When it was delivered to me, it was in great cosmetic condition and had a real resonance to it – like all turn of the century Precisions tend to have. It’s my favourite era for Precision basses. The only problem was the electrics and the pickups. Somebody, somewhere had installed two very cheap pickups in it. Also, the internal wiring was very poorly executed. It also had a little preamp in it – supposedly making the pickups active. The actual result was the worst sounding bass anyone could possibly imagine.

So, after some words with the seller, and some compensation money coming my way, I got to work on the upgrades.

Seymour Duncans went in, together with new wiring throughout – fitted by a pro (Dave Walsh of Eternal Guitars). The pots and knobs were changed at the same time so that I could control both volume and tone for each of the pickups. I used concentric pots for this, meaning that I could have an extra jack socket fitted to the pick guard – in the normal place. This is good for the aesthetics, as it looks more “normal Precision-like”. That also means that it now has two separate output jacks.

I therefore had the top (pick guard) jack configured via the concentric knobs to give volume/tone control for each pickup ….. and, after much discussion with Dave, had the side jack used as a way of routing the Precision pickup straight to the jack (with no volume or tone controls).
So, it now has one jack which will give you Precision or Jazz or a mix of both …. and another which is just pure Precision.

If you really want to change it back to stock volume / volume / tone wiring, it would be easy to do. All you’ll need is three knurled Precision knobs and a soldering iron – but that would be a shame.

I’m selling this as I need the space. I’ve just purchased a couple of Fender Jazz basses and also my burgeoning 6-string guitar collection means I don’t have any more hanging room on the walls in my guitar room.

Edited by The Dark Lord