Why become a member? ×

Mega rehearsal

chris_b

I think Youtube is a fantastic resource.
I am depping in a function band and I've been 3 weeks to get up to speed on 94 numbers from which the set will be picked. I asked if they could help by cutting the list down, it's now about 80!!! While I've heard most of the numbers before, Elton John, The Beatles etc, I've never played them. My objective is to do this gig and be indistinguishable from, or better than, the regular guy so I've been writing charts for everything (I can't fit 80 new numbers into my brain!!). I have found that all the numbers except from Van Morrison are on Youtube; he's had all his stuff removed, miserable git! The originals, subsequent versions and live versions are all there. I didn't realise that Youtube was so all encompassing. It really is a great rehearsal aid.

I just use Giganews to download the tracks but one of my bands use YT and TBH its caused no end of heated discussions (at the gig) about what key the songs in.
I find a lot of the stuff on YT is a bit out of tune and so you can interpret the song being in one or two different keys. lack of communication doesn't help either of course.

I agree, its a good idea though.

Edited by dave_bass5

[quote name='dave_bass5' post='225789' date='Jun 24 2008, 12:16 PM']I just use Giganews to download the tracks but one of my bands use YT and TBH its caused no end of heated discussions (at the gig) about what key the songs in.
I find a lot of the stuff on YT is a bit out of tune and so you can interpret the song being in one or two different keys. lack of communication doesn't help either of course.[/quote]
The keys can be a problem. I ran the list past the Pianist to make sure.

[quote name='chris_b' post='225852' date='Jun 24 2008, 01:27 PM']The keys can be a problem. I ran the list past the Pianist to make sure.[/quote]

Yeah, thats all it takes but IME its never that easy. Especially when guitarists are involved.

I always bang in a youtube search when someone recommends something on this forum too. Nearly always there.

For learning stuff for depping I use Youtube and Chordie if there's any tricky or hard to hear things.
Some of the Chordie stuff is just plain wrong but there's usually a pretty accurate version as well .. and lots have the key changer as well so you transpose the chords with one click :)

[url="http://www.chordie.com/"]http://www.chordie.com/[/url]