Why become a member? ×

Passive/active pot advice needed

Jimryan

Morning all,

My bass is being wired up today. I've supplied the guy with 2x 500k volume pots, DPDT mini switch (to switch between active/passive), a Seymour Duncan stacked 2-band pre and a 500k tone pot.

He's just called saying these pots might not do and I'll have to buy new high quality ones. Apparently the 500s will do for passive, but for active I need 25k pots.

What do you guys think?

Cheers

James

If you put your 500K pots between the pickups and the preamp, they will do just fine. You need 25K only if your volume control(s) is(are) situated after the preamp (between the preamp and the output jack).

In your case (two volumes and passive tone control), you have to have these between the pickups and the preamp, therefore 500K is a good choice.

[quote name='DolganoFF' timestamp='1384095631' post='2272656']
If you put your 500K pots between the pickups and the preamp, they will do just fine. You need 25K only if your volume control(s) is(are) situated after the preamp (between the preamp and the output jack).

In your case (two volumes and passive tone control), you have to have these between the pickups and the preamp, therefore 500K is a good choice.
[/quote]

Cheers buddy, thank you