Why become a member? ×

Repairable or Wasted Money?

antnee

I am on the hunt for a practice Combo and I have spotted this...

http://www.gumtree.com/p/for-sale/ashdown-mag250-bass-amp-combo-faulty-sparesrepairs/1037820669#photo-content

Obviously without a professional or seasoned DIY person viewing it, it is hard to judge on the condition and the issues, but I would value your opinions!

Secondly, anyone know/from the Norwich area that specialize in Amps? I don't mind dabbling in electronics, but I don't want to make things worse or waste money!

Thanks and I hope this is the correct section,

Tony.

Yep,at most you might need another speaker,at about £60 so still reasonable outlay.
Just remembered, I used one of these at the Number six festival a couple of months ago, and it wasn't working.
Turned out to be the jack connection into the amp from the speaker at the back of the amp had been bashed in the van and broken.
Bit of Gaffa got me through the gig.
Good luck!

Edited by Monckyman

It'll be a pretty simple fix. Worst case scenario is a new speaker which is easy to fit. I replaced mine and fitted a speakon while I was at it. It took about an hour of my time.

By the way there's a guy selling a couple of eminence deltas 15" for £70 on basschat if you need one.

Edited by gjones

[quote name='warwickhunt' timestamp='1384036837' post='2272266']
£40 and just a speaker connection to fix? If it really was that easy to fix (IMHO) it would be fixed and command a much higher price... if it is too good to be true! ;)
[/quote]

A lot of people are scared to get the screwdriver out and have a look. If his extension speaker works ok with it, then it should be just a wiring issue or a blown speaker. I do recommend anybody going to pick it up has a listen to the amp through the extension speaker though.

Just in case.

It could be anything...you won't know without somebody who's qualified having a look.

I bought a TE Commando with what was alleged to be a simple problem - had my niece's husband have a look - despite replacing loads of parts we could never get it to work for more than 30 seconds without it blowing something...

Guest canonman

I'd happily give £40 for that if I lived near Norwich. It doesn't sound like there's much wrong at all and I'm handy with a soldering iron anyway. Both my current amps were cheap fixer-uppers :)