Why become a member? ×

All for nothing?

Guest MoJo

Went to see a band last night and in my opinon, the bass player had a great sound. He was playing a Fieldy signature K5 into a Peavey Tour head sitting on top of a Peavey 410TX. I've had Peavey gear in the past but moved it on to buy something of supposedly better quality. I'm sure my current gear has better dynamics and definition than my old Peavey rig but if I could get that guys tone from last night, I'd be happy.

I've come to the conclusion that I just don't know how to set my gear up to get good tone and I've been playing 34 years so thats not good news

[quote name='molan' timestamp='1384085949' post='2272527']
I've always thought that some older Peavey gear sounded good, especially the Black Widow equipped cabs.

My issue with them is simply that they generally weigh so much :(
[/quote]

I used to have a little all-valve Peavey 1x12 guitar combo, it weighed a ton. Much heavier than my 2x12 Marshall JCM900, it was more the weight of my Fender DeVille 4x10. What the hell do they put in those things?!

[quote name='MoJo' timestamp='1384087074' post='2272544']
A 410TX weighs as much as the moon and I used to gig with two :lol:
[/quote]

They`re one of my fave sounding cabs, but as you say as heavy as the moon - and not far from the size of it either.

[quote name='xilddx' timestamp='1384086840' post='2272538']
I used to have a little all-valve Peavey 1x12 guitar combo, it weighed a ton. Much heavier than my 2x12 Marshall JCM900, it was more the weight of my Fender DeVille 4x10. What the hell do they put in those things?!
[/quote]

Was it a Bravo?

I had one of those - lovely little thing but stupidly heavy for a 25w 1x12 combo!

Years ago I used a Peavey 115 BW. I replaced it with a Dynacord combo, which definitely sounded better.

Then again, I borrowed a Trace rig and couldn’t get it to sound half as good as the owner did!

I can make some gear work and some I can’t. I just have to make sure that I always buy the former.