Why become a member? ×

Do I ONLY need new pots?

Iheartreverb

Hi all,

Any advice appreciated as to wether I only need new pots or my bass should be wired differently.
I always play my Ric copy in the middle position and I'm finding the following problem,

When in the middle if I back off the volume pots (to blend the tone slightly differently) more than 3/4 open then that pickup dissapears completely.

In simple if I take the treble pickup out slightly the tone will be the same as the neck pickup on its own.

Just to clarify it isn't wired to be master tone/master vol in the middle as some are.

Just wanted to pick brains to see if I should be wired up slightly differently or just need to upgrade to better quality pots.

Cheers

If I'm understanding this OP right, you're saying you've got 2 volume controls and if they're both up to 3/4 or higher, the output volume drops off.

If this is the case, I think I read in another thread that this can be caused by the pups being out of phase. So the answer would be to reverse the cable connections on one of the pups.

[quote name='Iheartreverb' timestamp='1384104242' post='2272788'] Hi all, Any advice appreciated as to wether I only need new pots or my bass should be wired differently. I always play my Ric copy in the middle position and I'm finding the following problem, When in the middle if I back off the volume pots (to blend the tone slightly differently) more than 3/4 open then that pickup dissapears completely. In simple if I take the treble pickup out slightly the tone will be the same as the neck pickup on its own. Just to clarify it isn't wired to be master tone/master vol in the middle as some are. Just wanted to pick brains to see if I should be wired up slightly differently or just need to upgrade to better quality pots. Cheers [/quote]

Two things come to my mind:
1) If your bass has log pots, you may have better results replacing volume pots with linear type (do not touch tone pots though).
2) It is possible you're plugging your bass into a low-impedance input (like direct into a mixing board input without DI). Passive volume controls work the best when plugged into a high-impedance inputs. Most bass amps are ok in this regard, but sound cards, mixing boards aren't. Unless they have special inputs marked Hi-Z or similar, you'll be better off going through a DI box...

Thanks all for help so far. To answer a few of the comments.

I'm not playing into a sound board or anything. A practice amp at home and gig quality rigs in a practice room.

Sorry if my issue was not that clear. This is the 3rd place I have posted it with no replies elsewhere.

In middle position (with 2xvol, 2xtone) if I roll either volume off slightly I lose the pickup completely (giving me just the other one) and if I roll off either if the tone I get no difference until it hits "nearly off" and gets too dark.

All advice appreciated, I might just get a tech to look at it.

It's a Ric 4003 copy by the way