Why become a member? ×

GRP bass cabinets....

ben_eat_pie

i've been thinking of building a fairly funky shaped Glass Reinforced Fibre bass cab - havn't heard great things about the material...
here's a few points i'd like comments on:
- why not GRP?
- Anyone know of a carbon fibre bass cab?
- Any other composite materials that are used to minimize weight!

thanks guys,

ben

Im in the hi-fi industry and these guys build fantastic high end speakers in carbon fibre starting at over £2k, check them out at............

[url="http://www.wilson-benesch.com/"]http://www.wilson-benesch.com/[/url]

The sound of carbon is very unique, its gives a sound free of the woody, box colouration that MOST speakers have.
Should sound great as a bass cab.
Don't know how easy it would be to build / mould the carbon fibre.

Hope this helps.

Marc

Edited by voxpop

For a rectangular cabinet, i think you would still end up with the same problems of sympathetic vibration if standard thicknesses of 3-4mm were used in the production of graphite composite cabs. This issue has been dealt with in basses by filling the hollow core of the graphite neck with polyeurathane foam but I can't imagine that working with a speaker cabinet. Part of the design beauty of speakers like the Nautilus is that the conical shape helps dampen sympathetic vibrations. But the moldings are a total bastard to make. Hence the price.

Let's not also forget that if the cabs are too light may not actually sit still on the floor when running at full tit. The cone excursions may very well end up making the cab vibrate all over the stage unless the cabs are tied down or anchored in some way.

[quote name='ben_eat_pie' post='226086' date='Jun 24 2008, 06:13 PM']- why not GRP?[/quote]
Surely it's just down to manufacturing costs? Costs of making up moulds etc. would be very inhibitive given the relativley small number of consumers, and the cost of alternatives.

[quote name='gilmour' post='229062' date='Jun 29 2008, 10:36 AM']Surely it's just down to manufacturing costs? Costs of making up moulds etc. would be very inhibitive given the relativley small number of consumers, and the cost of alternatives.[/quote]
+1. Manufacturing costs are at least double that of plywood. Some forays into fiberglass and other composite constructions have been made, most have failed.