Why become a member? ×

My new project

Twigman

[quote name='Roland Rock' timestamp='1385206458' post='2285559']
I bought a Fender p pickup and it had the large plate. It was definitely genuine, but was the Vintage model, maybe that's the difference?
[/quote]

Ahh Ok
Thomann advertised it as 'Vintage' but it has the same packaging and the same part number on the label as my previous 2 'Original' p/n 0992046000 which had smaller plates that did fit.
...did yours fit your rout?
I think I shall cut this one down and then resolder the pickup to the plate - what do you reckon?

The 2 on the left are pickups I bought previously which are both fitted in Basses. The one on the right is this new one with the oversize plate

Same part numbers, same descriptions, same barcodes, slightly different layout on the labels. Otherwise all same packaging
[attachment=149043:pickuplabels.jpg]

Edited by Twigman

[quote name='Twigman' timestamp='1385206804' post='2285567']

Ahh Ok
Thomann advertised it as 'Vintage' but it has the same packaging and the same part number on the label as my previous 2 'Original' p/n 0992046000 which had smaller plates that did fit.
...did yours fit your rout?
I think I shall cut this one down and then resolder the pickup to the plate - what do you reckon?

The 2 on the left are pickups I bought previously which are both fitted in Basses. The one on the right is this new one with the oversize plate

Same part numbers, same descriptions, same barcodes, slightly different layout on the labels. Otherwise all same packaging
[attachment=149043:pickuplabels.jpg]
[/quote]

No, mine didn't fit the rout. I just enlarged the rout, as I had a scratchplate to cover it.
This was about back in 1997, but IIRC the packaging definitely had Vintage written on it, and the wire had a lovely retro cloth covering.

I don't see any harm in cutting the plate to size, but I'm not very technical - I'm sure someone more knowledgable will chip in soon.

[quote name='Roland Rock' timestamp='1385209187' post='2285602']
No, mine didn't fit the rout. I just enlarged the rout, as I had a scratchplate to cover it.
[/quote]

No can do as rear routed control cavity and still undecided as to whether to fit the custom scratchplate - depends how it will look and will be last thing fitted as it's just cosmetic - in fact I'm not even going to start designing it until the bass is built.

Edited by Twigman

Yeah I am seriously an idiot thinking my pickup rout was the same as any other.

Because the body of this is designed for no scratchplate the pickup routs are smaller than a std pbass rout and are shaped to fit the pickup covers only.
I could do without the plate by shielding the cavity and running the earth all the way from the A/E coil to the controls but I like the idea of the plate so I will shield the sides of the cavity with copper tape and take a piercing saw to the existing plate to cut it down to size to fit the cavity......I think it will be make a smarter (albeit nobody will see it) job than just sticking the foams on the copper tape - besides the plate gets the pickup 1mm or so closer to the strings!

• 3 weeks later...