Why become a member? ×

Single 15" (Markbass??) cab or 2 x 12??

Prince_phil

Hi Im looking for a new cab to go with my Markbass little mark II head. I already have an EA wizzy 12" which is great but id like to expand the setup for bigger gigs. Ive tried out the markbass traveller 151p cabs and liked the sound in the shop but don't know how it would cope for gigs. I also don't know if it would work if I ran the two together..
The other option is to buy another wizzy 12 but would this just make my rig louder rather that giving me more low end extension?
Oh and buying 2 genz benz focus cabs is an option as well as they are selling off cheap at the moment!
Thanks
Phil

Adding a second whizzy should give you the feeling of more depth because you'll be moving more air and the cabs coupled together will be generating a bit more low end.

MarkBass cabs do work well with their heads but the heads are pretty flexible and can partner lots of different cabs.

I'm not a fan of mixing across brands because I like rigs to look matched (and if there are significantly different sensitivities then you can get an odd mis-match of volume with e more sensitive cab becoming more dominant).

However I don't have any issues with cabs of different sizes working together. I've heard lots of great combinations of 15s and 10s for example.

My current favourites for flexible setups is either the Bergantino CN12s or the Aguilar SL12s. Both of these work well on their own for smaller gigs or rehearsals and then adding a 2nd cab gives more volume and bass extension.

A great, really compact, setup using MarkBass gear (as mentioned above) is the mini CMD121P combo and the NY121 cab. These work really well together and stand at a great height for gigs. I've been using these recently and am really impressed :)

Edited by molan

[quote name='gsgbass' timestamp='1384535109' post='2277902']
I like the sounds from the Markbass Mini CMD 121P Combo / Markbass NY121 Cab. The NY121 cab is 8 ohms, 400 watts, with a full range tweeter setting on the side. And it only weighs 28 pounds.
[/quote]
[quote name='molan' timestamp='1384539284' post='2277989']
A great, really compact, setup using MarkBass gear (as mentioned above) is the mini CMD121P combo and the NY121 cab. These work really well together and stand at a great height for gigs. I've been using these recently and am really impressed :)
[/quote]

Another CMD121P/NY121 user here. Great little set-up.

If it were me, experiencing the difference adding another 1x12 makes to my combo on its own, I`d look at getting another Wizzy 12. The extra depth of sound is amazing and two 1x12s is a nice portable set-up. Plus as you`ve said, you like your current EA Wizzy, makes sense to add to what you already know/like in my opinion.