Why become a member? ×

Gibson Grabber Pickups

Ziphoblat

I'm looking to source some pick-ups similar to the ones found in the original Gibson Grabber G1 basses (the ones with the sliding pickups). The sliding aspect isn't something I'm interested in (I'm only interested because they're the same pickups that were in a Gibson Explorer bass that I used to own). Does anybody know anything about them? So far all I've been able to find is that they were originally designed by Bill Lawrence, and this snippet of information:

[i]"Sliding pickup Gibson part number 13691. The single coil pickup of the Gibson Grabber bass was mounted onto a plastic slide, allowing it to be positioned by the neck, by the bridge, or anywhere inbetween. The pickup was designed for a "dark tonality" and was a simple single coil wrapped around an Indox magnet core. Some Gibson price lists incorrectly suggest that this pickup is a humbucker. The design remained unchanged for the 10 years of production, 1973-83. In later years, this pickup was also used on the early eighties Gibson Explorer bass."[/i]

I'd really like to get some hold of some replica pickups if this is possible. It's not really my area though; what information do I need to know to be able to ask a builder to create my some pickups to the same spec?

• 6 years later...