Why become a member? ×

New Amp Day - Mark Bass alert!

citymariner

Just chopped in my Ashdown Klystron head and cabs for a MB LMIII and a traveller 102p.

Absolutely love it and with me playing double bass and electric bass it is replicating both instruments beautifully!

Now, I can't wait to get it out at rehearsal tomorrow.

Any tips and trips - hidden EQ combos etc. I'm happy to listen. However, I'm playing through it flat at the moment and it sounds lush!

Great combo. I use the same cab with a little mark II and run it flat ( VLE and VPF fully turned anticlockwise) playing electric bass and love it. I Also add in the 1 by 15 traveler cab and I have a portable powerful bass rig. Been using this set up for quite some time and it has been ultra reliable. enjoy

Congrats on entering Markbass-Land. I use a Precision which has plenty of low mids so I back off on these a touch, boost bass & treble, and leave the high mids at noon. VLE & VPF completely anti-clockwise (off) and gain at about 2 o`clock. Get a great gnarly sound if your strings are new, or a nice warm old-school sound if like me, you have old strings (and would assume flats would be the same).

Many thanks for your comments.

I've currently played with everything at 12 and quite liked the tone. I'll have a play in a bit with the VLE/VPF knobs turned off (fully Anticlockwise).

The majority of stuff will be with my DB however I have a P and a J that I feel will need only small tweaks on the head to get me to that nice place, you know, the one where your bass sound sends you all funny. Haha.

I'm gonna see how the rig gets on with the band and then I'll consider an extension cab. I've been told I will not need one though - even with a noisy drummer!
Another 102p is appealing though.

The one thing I love about the rig is how compact it is, especially as I'm playing DB more and more. The head I'll be able to fit in a flight case with my cables and couple of pedals. Fewer trips to the car and less KGs are alway welcome!