Why become a member? ×

The 'other' SX basses...

karlbbb

Does anyone have any experience with these Brice basses? I was having a quick look through the 6 string section and I've fallen in love with two....

[url="http://www.rondomusic.com/product748.html"]Douglas WOB 826[/url]

and the [url="http://www.rondomusic.com/hxb40635.html"]Brice HXB-406[/url]

The Douglas is $179.95, 34" scale, active pickups with vol/bal/bass/treb, ash body while the Brice is $289.95, 35" scale, same electronics but with an active/passive push-pull, alder body with bubinga finish.

I want one!

So, has anyone had any experience, or think either of these is worth buying?

P.S. Did anyone spot the spelling mistake on the Brice page?

Edited by karlbbb

I have a brice 6 string but it looks more like the one above than the one below. It actually looks great on stage, i'll find some pics if you want? As far as the bass goes, it's VERY nice for the money. The pups aren't uber-powerful, but then my main comparison is my schecter studio 6 so..... Compared to that it plays almost as nice, the neck is very similar in feel (if not nicer than the schecter) and it sounds great through my rig, and on my recordings (link in my sig).

[quote name='queenofthedepths' post='226562' date='Jun 25 2008, 11:26 AM']One S in "trus"?[/quote]

I actually meant the "6 sting", didn't spot that one! :)

[quote name='cheddatom' post='226563' date='Jun 25 2008, 11:27 AM']I have a brice 6 string but it looks more like the one above than the one below. It actually looks great on stage, i'll find some pics if you want? As far as the bass goes, it's VERY nice for the money. The pups aren't uber-powerful, but then my main comparison is my schecter studio 6 so..... Compared to that it plays almost as nice, the neck is very similar in feel (if not nicer than the schecter) and it sounds great through my rig, and on my recordings (link in my sig).[/quote]

Thanks for your input, if you can find a couple of pictures that would be great! They seem like they could be a nice first 6 string for the money.

I just did a quick calculation, I think I got it right.....I have to add 17.5% for VAT, then add 3.9% onto the whole lot for the customs tax?

The second bass is $289.95, plus $83.89 for shipping totals $373.84. After adding 17.5% onto this I got to $439.62. If I then add 3.9%, it comes to $456.39, which in current conversion rates, comes in at less than £232.

A steal surely? I'm not sure I'll be able to resist this!

To further my search for the cheapest 6 string I can find, does anyone know of any other 6 strings with a [b]35" scale[/b] that can be had for £200 or less?

I'm looking at a Brice HXB-406, that's 35" but by calculation comes in at about £230-£250 after VAT, customs, shipping etc.

[quote name='Musky' post='227019' date='Jun 26 2008, 12:13 AM']I can't help with the six string, but I think you add the duty before VAT (though I might be wrong). You've also got to allow between about £8-15 for admin charges, depending on who processes the charges for you.[/quote]

Thanks for the tip, you were right. Duty, then VAT. Still works out the same though!

Isn't there a peavey grind 6 string on this board somewhere? That was really cheap I think. Other than that, there are other basses around used in the UK that might be better value? I got my brice because it worked out at £150 at the time.

I couldn't find many pictures, and these aren't great sorry!

Try here [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=19136&st=20&start=20"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=...20&start=20[/url]

He's one of my students and has a Peavey Grind 6 string for sale in your price range....