Why become a member? ×

What do you guys reckon about this?

Jimryan

Evening all,

I recently found and answered an add online looking for a bass player...

"I'm putting together a live band to back a talented local rapper with the view of having some fun and doing a few shows. I'm drumming and having a few people in mind for other roles but thought it might be nice to see who's out there first musician wise. So anyone think they can bring something to a live hip hop act? Or know someone who would? Get in touch!"

I answered it and talked to the guy as I've always wanted to have a crack at hip hop. What made it even more appealing is that the guy is already established with a following. It's all been made out to be; rehearse, play gigs, help on recordings. All seems very straight forward and legit. Anyhow, I was unable to make the first rehearsal due to previous arrangements I already had. All went well, I got sent all the tracks they want me to learn and even a live recording from the rehearsal. Then I got an email the other day that's made me a tad doubtful...

"I'm not one to f*ck about, I'm getting old, so I want to keep momentum and lay down what I think should happen next.

I'm perfectly happy to push us at promoters to get gigs and do all the other sh*t a manager would generally do. To do this we have to have:

- A demo/EP of at least 3 tracks.

- Proper good photos.

- Biog

- A couple of smaller shows under our belt.

This will cost money. In the region of £3-400 I would say. Now I'm not expecting everyone to stump up £65 on a new project immediately but who could find that money in the next two months? I really want this to happen so whatever happens I will pay it myself until people can afford it. "

Now, if this guy already has mixed recordings "a couple of albums", then why would we need to record an EP in order to secure gigs. Surely I'm right in thinking that you send the actual artist's recording as we're just going to be arriving as his band? Am I being too cautious about this? I don't want to miss out on a cool project like this (the recordings are fantastic), but then again, I don't want to be taken for a right when money is already as tight as it is.

What do you guys reckon?

I think it's a good way to gauge peoples commitment. I assume it's a 5 or 6 piece band and I know how difficult it can be to get that many people in a room at the same time for rehearsals etc. If people moan and whinge about putting money up front for demos, then you know they aren't particularly committed in the first place.

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]"I'm putting together a live band to back a talented local rapper with the view of having some fun and doing a few shows."[/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]And he wants your money to help him do it. [/font][/color][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]So, if you are paying for this [/font][/color][font="helvetica, arial, sans-serif"][color="#282828"]privilege of backing a talented local rapper, what are you getting out of it? A return on your investment of some sort?[/color][/font]

[font="helvetica, arial, sans-serif"][color="#282828"]I haven't contributed to rehearsal or recording costs since about 1997. The artist pays for all those in the bands I'm in. [/color][/font]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]If this band is going to be a collective vision and you will get writing and arrangement credits, and you find you are really enjoying it, then go for it if it looks like it will last. [/font][/color]

We are in the process of doing this in our band.... But then we have been established quite a while.

We are able to secure a studio for a day for £150 due to our drummers friend, so we will have a promo CD.

Photos were taken by my hubby (live ones, rehearsal ones and promo ones).

A live video has been put together by our drummer again.

Our keys best mate has done our website for us.

We share promotion work and have a good deal with a tshirt company.

If we had these things done professionally they would have cost us a fortune...... But don't even get me started on the expense of varilights, lasers and smoke machines! :lol:

I think it is a guage of commitment, but then equally you personally don't want to throw your own cash at something that is untested for you. So I'm slightly uneasy when you are just joining.... 6 months down the line is a different matter!

Don't take this the wrong way but it sounds to me like you're not really committed to this project. As such you feel its a little cheeky to ask for funding because it's only starting. I think you are right. The artist should stump the money. You guys are promoting and supporting him. If he makes it believe me all you guys are dumped for pro musicians. I'd tell them to poke it.

[quote name='the boy' timestamp='1384888942' post='2281956']
Don't take this the wrong way but it sounds to me like you're not really committed to this project. As such you feel its a little cheeky to ask for funding because it's only starting. I think you are right. The artist should stump the money. You guys are promoting and supporting him. If he makes it believe me all you guys are dumped for pro musicians. I'd tell them to poke it.
[/quote]me too!!!

[quote name='the boy' timestamp='1384888942' post='2281956']
[/quote]

It's not me asking for the money. I've been asked to play for this established guy, with recordings already, but if I want to play I need to contribute to the cost. If I had been in from the beginning then I'd understand that, but I've just been asked to turn up, play live and play on the recordings. Oh, and help pay for it now. It's not a case of not being committed, it's more a case of showing caution before giving commitment.

[quote name='Jimryan' timestamp='1384890921' post='2281993']

It's not me asking for the money. I've been asked to play for this established guy, with recordings already, but if I want to play I need to contribute to the cost. If I had been in from the beginning then I'd understand that, but I've just been asked to turn up, play live and play on the recordings. Oh, and help pay for it now. It's not a case of not being committed, it's more a case of showing caution before giving commitment.
[/quote]
Did you actually read my post or did you simply see red at the first line and fire off a response. I totally agree with you as I said in the rest of my post. Read it again and get Back to me.

Approach with caution.

Sounds like you may be having to contribute like it's 'your band', but in reality it's his band.

What are you getting for your money? Are you pushing this forward as a band, or as an artist with a backing band? If it's the latter I'd tell him to pay it himself, the cheeky sod.

Having never been in a band I may be a lot naive here, but I think you're right to heck things out before coming up with cash. Surely you need a few jam sessions first to see if you've a future together. Also surely some of the answer is in the question of how the act will be billed.

If the act is billed as a group name, then it's arguable you're all in it together. If the name of the act is that of the rapper, then it's his baby and you're a session player. IMHO

He's started with one story and now switched to a different one. That would be sounding sirens to me.

Now he's asking you for money to fund the project?

Walk away. He probably will after he spent the cash.

Edited by chris_b

Interesting to read, sounds like the guy has either had someone pull the funding plug, his finances have taken a hit or he doesn't have much of a clue.

Proceed with caution would be my advice, also think hard about exactly what you want!

Also, as is custom with the wonderful BassChat, keep us posted ;)

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1384957795' post='2282770']
He's started with one story and now switched to a different one. That would be sounding sirens to me.
[/quote]

Me too. Any job or project (whatever it is) you have to pay for the privilege of doing is always a bit iffy in my book.
His email comes over a bit 'spam' to me, but then I've been ripped off that many times I'm an old cynic now. :)

Ok, this morning I emailed him. Just a basic one stating that I'm not willing to financially commit to this. A reply has come through asking if I'd still like to go to rehearsals regardless. The rehearsal is next Friday (not tomorrow) so I'll go along and report my findings.