Why become a member? ×

Tone pot buzzing on P bass

lojo

Hi

Hope someone can help

When I turn the treble up it really buzzes, roll it off, or touch it whilst it's set to treble the buzz goes

I assuming its a ground wire or something ?

Its a new purchase and I want to gig it at the weekend, I have kigon loom I could put in but I'm hoping I won't have to cut anything in this one as its all original and there, but ifs its broke then no worries

Any tips ?

Nothing looks amiss but can't see the capacitor legs clearly. It has to be said those Jap pots ain't the best & could be a fault in the tone pot.
I wouldn't worry about cutting the wires off them & putting a decent kit in there, best thing you could do IMO B)

[quote name='KiOgon' timestamp='1384976877' post='2283081']
Nothing looks amiss but can't see the capacitor legs clearly. It has to be said those Jap pots ain't the best & could be a fault in the tone pot.
I wouldn't worry about cutting the wires off them & putting a decent kit in there, best thing you could do IMO B)
[/quote]

Thanks John, I'll rob the one from my other P , you'll have to send me another one please ?

I like the feel of this bass so much, I might P/J it with my wizards, but i'm not sure if that will devalue it, or even if it does, does it matter

[quote name='lojo' timestamp='1384977265' post='2283093']
Thanks John, I'll rob the one from my other P , you'll have to send me another one please ?

I like the feel of this bass so much, I might P/J it with my wizards, but i'm not sure if that will devalue it, or even if it does, does it matter
[/quote]

I think your bass may need shielding. I just finished sorting my Precision out an hour ago. I was getting the same thing (buzzing that goes away when I touch the strings or roll of the tone a bit). So I pulled the scratchplate off, stuck a sheet of copper foil on it, cut off the excess and screwed it back on the bass. The result is a much quieter bass. I was thinking of painting it with some carbon shielding paint I used to shield my Jazz Bass. I may do that this weekend.
This is the same type of stuff I used which is cheap as chips. [url="http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/300mm-x-200mm-Guitar-pickup-self-adhesive-copper-foil-tape-shielding-/390702336281?_trksid=p2054897.l4276"]http://www.ebay.co.u...=p2054897.l4276[/url]

Edited by gjones

Can't beat a complete cavity shield with copper tape. The pots should be already fitted onto the 'guard on a section of shielding. Yours appears to have none. Remove the pots and jack socket and stick copper tape on that complete area right to the 'guard edge and ensure the cavity shielding has enough of an overlay on the body to contact when screwed down. Make sure that cap's legs aren't touching when refitted.

Guaranteed everything will be as quiet as a mouse.