Why become a member? ×

Triggering loops and samples while playing live?

Pinball

Hi, I'm rehearsing in an originals band and it is is going well,

The main issue holding us back is that we haven't been able to find someone to play keys. On our recordings we use quite a few loops, both during tracks and to create a soundscape.

We have been trying to carry that over into our live playing with our drummer playing to a click track.

In theory its fine but In practice this isn't working too well because we're finding it a bit restrictive and it sounds horrible if it goes wrong.

As a result we're looking for simple ways that we can trigger pre-recorded loops and sounds via our PC,

has anyone got any suggestions of how to do this or even better is there anyone in the Bristol/Western area who fancies playing some keys?

Hi, we're not playing to a click track anymore. We abandoned that idea as it was too restricting.

[quote name='Myke' timestamp='1385053181' post='2283921']
Have you tried using Ableton Live? I've never used it properly but you can like link a sample/loop to a key or a pedal or whatever interface your using and trigger it like that.

Not sure on price though
[/quote]

At the moment we have complete key tracks on Reaper, which needs a click track and relays on keeping very tight. Ambleton may be easier what do you think is the best way tpo trigger them. The drummer with a pad maybe or some pedal.

[i]Note: if I sound out of my depth thats because I am :) I normally leave this stuff to others in the band but wondered I could come up with some suggestions.[/i]

[quote name='Pinball' timestamp='1385056340' post='2283979']
At the moment we have complete key tracks on Reaper, which needs a click track and relays on keeping very tight. Ambleton may be easier what do you think is the best way tpo trigger them. The drummer with a pad maybe or some pedal.

[i]Note: if I sound out of my depth thats because I am :) I normally leave this stuff to others in the band but wondered I could come up with some suggestions.[/i]
[/quote]

When I used it (was like an hour) I used a usb keyboard and the mac keyboard (separately) but I've seen people use pads to awesome effect and I'm sure the same could be used with pedals. I think you'd be best to have a go with a free trial and see if it'll be good for your needs and whether it seems viable or not.

You can get a free trial online.

Damn expensive to buy though!

If you've got loops going you're going to need to have a click track anyway in order to keep in time.

For the other stuff unless you are using sequenced parts and a tempo/click track it will never be as consistent as if it was played by a keyboard player.

What you should probably do is ask yourself just how important these extra parts are in the context of the live performance. I've seen a couple of bands recently using sequenced backing and extra sounds triggered and TBH apart from intros and quiet parts in the songs these were all but inaudible. I'd try playing the songs without them and see just how much you miss them before looking for other solutions.

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1385059247' post='2284037']
If you've got loops going you're going to need to have a click track anyway in order to keep in time.

For the other stuff unless you are using sequenced parts and a tempo/click track it will never be as consistent as if it was played by a keyboard player.

What you should probably do is ask yourself just how important these extra parts are in the context of the live performance. I've seen a couple of bands recently using sequenced backing and extra sounds triggered and TBH apart from intros and quiet parts in the songs these were all but inaudible. I'd try playing the songs without them and see just how much you miss them before looking for other solutions.
[/quote]

I'm with you, we're half way their really. Most of our stuff sounds fine without and it would be simple enough to trigger intros etc. A more simplistic approach will probably work fine live.