Why become a member? ×

Rehearsal layout

xgsjx

Smallish cottage room, 6m x 5m. Drums at one end, with 'sidefill' columns at each corner. Semi-circle at 'tother end, 2 half stacks and Hiwatt bass and 'Giggles' 2 x 15 cab. Singer in middle of that semi-circle. All facing inwards. 2 HK floor monitors.
The key, which has been mentionned, is in keeping the volume down. Our gear is more than capable of flattening the walls, but we all know how to adjust our individual instruments on any 'live' stage, be it resto/club/pub, outdoors charity gig or festival stage. We don't rehearse with FOH. We rehearse at rehearsal level (ie: quite low, certainly below earplug levels...), and play as 'loud' as the gig requires when required. It's maybe a question of experience, but there should never be a major problem, I'd have thought, that a decent musician who knows his gear can't get right. Maybe I've always just been lucky..? :mellow:
PS: Any 'rehearsal' of our stage presence would be similar to a visit to MadameTussauds. :lol:

That might be my problem. The rest of the band don't seem to have much "band" experience. One of the guitarists was in a local blues rock band (that are decidedly average), the other 3 I don't think have any gigging experience (one thinking every 2nd song should be a cover in an "originals" band).
They're good guys though & it's taken me long enough to find some musicians, so I'm sure they'll all get there soon. Just need perseverance. :)

We use a practice studio and the drums are next to the amps (like in a live scenario) and the PA is at the other end of the room facing the back line.
I try not to stay near my amp as our drummer hits like a beast and I always loose the guitarist. So I tend to walk around as far as my leads will allow