Why become a member? ×

DOD Meat Box FX32 - Settings?

Salt on your Bass?

Hi All,

I've just picked up one of these at a reasonable price just to see how I get on with it in my doom band. I've only used it with headphones presently but wondered what settings people run with? I've seen the manual online and tried those - hell being my favourite presently, but we'll have to see in a live band setting.

Also as an aside, if I drop the rump and flank controls (30hz/60hz) below 3pm, there seems to be a massive drop in volume - so rather than fattening the sound, it drops it. compensating with the volume and wet/dry brings a bit back, but not noticeable. I wanted to check this was normal.

Like I say, still haven't used live yet so probably need to before judging it properly.

Thank :D

Yeah make sure you're powering it properly lol
The Meatbox is real quirky, all the controls kinda affect each other!
You also won't get much of a feel for it through headphones, put it through your amp but be careful, it was nicknamed the speaker-buster for a reason!

Si

everything Si says +1.

It really rinses 9v so Id look into getting a mains power adapter sorted, positive tip.

It does change the tone but until you run it through a PA system there's no chance of feeling the benefits. Its one of my favourite pedals because it simply fattens up the experience when loud as muck, if you want to push it then there's not much musical intuition involved, it just boosts the subs, good pedal.

Sibob and Left Foot are totally right.

To get the full benefit of using the MeatBox you need to run it through a PA with decent subs, or run it through a separate amp with a speaker capable of delivering good subs without farting out on you. Remember it is nicknamed the Speaker-popper! LOL

Check out Juan Alderete´s (The Mars Volta) web site, on this link he talks about the MeatBox:

[url="http://pedalsandeffects.com/wmd-update-exclusive-meat-box/"]http://pedalsandeffe...usive-meat-box/[/url]

Juan Alderete and Janek Gwizdala love their MeatBoxes...

Hope it helps! Not much practical info on these around the interwebs... :D

Yeah, every little is useful thanks. Got a rehearsal tonight - using house kit - so not sure if I should put it anywhere near this pedal as I really don't want to wreck a cab. Next pa supported gig is in jan - interesting to try and find settings Ahead of gigging it.

Had assurance from Alex the big twin will be fine with it so see how it fairs a week Friday, if the cab arrives.

So I ran it out last night at rehearsal and wow! Even though it was only through a hartke 15 combo, it adds a mother load of punch, and loads of bass presence which is great when the guitar goes off on a solo to keep a real massive sound going. Really happy, nee to refine the settings but very impressed with it :D

Well for me once the red lights on it stays on and I make adjustments if needed, I play noise stuff anyway so I don't need to be delicate in the mix.
For practice its a mixture of 2 - 4 for rump and flank with the output at 8 - 11 and even then I have to adjust the setting if I'm playing somewhere new or with other gear because it sounds different to my ear. I have to be sensible, the fx32 just excites my juvenile side for loudness which some people and rigs don't appreciate.

• 2 weeks later...

Depends what the freequency of tyour HPF is set to.
The Meatbox low end sits at around 35-30hz, the SFX thumpinator HPF, for example, cuts everything below 30hz, so you may or may not lose a little from the sound, however this may be something that works for you.
As you say, some amps already have HPF/LPF features, so play about with them.

Si

• 1 month later...

Interestingly (to me anyway) last night when mucking around with my amp settings, I found this pedal sings when the preamp valve is bypassed. I love the valve OD, but with the meatbox in tow, it losses its punch somewhere - not sure if it maxes out the pre amp tube or something, but the gutsy punch it adds it more lacklustre.

Also noticed the cones moving a fair bit on a low B - not quite uncontrollably, but getting there! Gonna pick up a thumpinator just to clear up a bit of excess that may be hitting my amp.

Absolutely love this pedal, as do the guys in my band :)