Why become a member? ×

Bridge Question

CamdenRob

Bit of advice needed please.

My 83 Jazz sounds great, looks great and plays great but… I have a bit of an issue. As a result of Fenders legendary iffy QC the G string is too close to the edge of the fretboard and I occasionally pull the string off the fretboard when playing further up the neck (I know I shouldn’t be playing there anyway but indulge me…) I can see it is visibly too far over in that it doesn’t quite align with the center of the pole pieces for the pickups. I think a few millimeters further over at the bridge and all will be well…

So my question is do I replace the bridge with something I can adjust to get the string at the right angle? Or is this a bigger problem than I think? Any suggestions for a replacement bridge that won’t mean I have to cut any holes in my bass and will allow me to replace the original one, should any future owners wish to make it unplayable?

This is the current bridge;

[quote name='gary mac' timestamp='1385630441' post='2290345']
What about one of the vintage Fender bridges, that has the saddle with a few grooves in.
[/quote]

That's what I was thinking off, the ones with the grooves all along the saddle? not sure if its just a case of swapping one straight in though?

I've had that issue before and it's usually due to the neck not aligning 100% correctly in the neck pocket. What I did was loosen the neck, pull it into the correct position (it will only be a mm out), and retighten the screws. This usually fixes the problem permanently.

[quote name='gjones' timestamp='1385631927' post='2290363']
I've had that issue before and it's usually due to the neck not aligning 100% correctly in the neck pocket. What I did was loosen the neck, pull it into the correct position (it will only be a mm out), and retighten the screws. This usually fixes the problem permanently.
[/quote]

That sounds like good advice to me. I'll give it a go tonight :)

Thanks for that.

[quote name='CamdenRob' timestamp='1385630627' post='2290347']
That's what I was thinking off, the ones with the grooves all along the saddle? not sure if its just a case of swapping one straight in though?
[/quote]

I fitted one on one of my basses and it was a lovely straightforward swap, all screw holes lined up perfectly.

gjones's tip is certainly worth a try in the first instance, it wont cost and if it's only slightly out, it might well do the trick.

[quote name='CamdenRob' timestamp='1385632021' post='2290366']
That sounds like good advice to me. I'll give it a go tonight :)

Thanks for that.
[/quote]

If, loosening the neck and pulling it into position doesn't work, you can put a small shim down the side of the neck pocket (a sliver of old credit card or thin plectrum). This will hold the neck in the correct position. It's pretty invisible and will permanently sort the problem out. I've done it myself and it worked a treat.

Didn't quite work out... Was good for the experience taking the neck off, but the problem is still there. I'm a bit worried that it might be the actual bridge that is cut in too far over (although the other strings are fine). I'm guessing that a bridge where I can adjust where the string sits on the saddle (like those old school fender ones) will allow me to get the correct angle on it. Current bridge appears to have three large screws holding it in place. I'm assuming this is fairly standard?

The standard Fender bridges have five screws Rob.

I suspected from your original post, that the neck tweak would probably not do the trick and that it was more likely poor bridge alignment. This is a really common fault with Fenders. You would think after churning out millions of instruments they could get it right :unsure:.

[quote name='gary mac' timestamp='1385711262' post='2291321']
The standard Fender bridges have five screws Rob.

I suspected from your original post, that the neck tweak would probably not do the trick and that it was more likely poor bridge alignment. This is a really common fault with Fenders. You would think after churning out millions of instruments they could get it right :unsure:.
[/quote]

Five screws... :blink: pretty sure mine only had Three... I'll look again tonight.

Thinking I might take it down to the gallery this weekend and see what they suggest.

It is a bit frustrating, looks like Fender have spent a lot of time and effort elsewhere on the bass and just made a schoolboy error in the final assembly.

Edited by CamdenRob

[quote name='gary mac' timestamp='1385714924' post='2291356']
I've never owned an 80's fender, maybe the standard bridge was a three holer. :)

My 60's, 70's and 90's all have the five screw type.

Hope you get it sorted.
[/quote]

Think the 80's was Fender's penny pinching era... Those extra couple of screws probably represented a cost saving... :blink:

[quote name='CamdenRob' timestamp='1385715297' post='2291359']
Think the 80's was Fender's penny pinching era... Those extra couple of screws probably represented a cost saving... :blink:
[/quote] As the tension on the strings is pulling the bridge sideways, not pulling it out, theory would tell you that 3 good screws should be ok. My guess is the bridge is a fraction too far to one side; and not completely centred on the neck. The difficulty correcting this is going to be that the error will be less than the width of a screw. So what needs doing is to fill the existing holes and re-fit the bridge.

The other option is to fit a Badass Bass III bridge, or similar. This has 5 slots on the top of each of the string-rests - like the old Fender ones. But being a chunky piece of kit it'll help the sustain too. Which would be no bad thing.

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1385719302' post='2291404']
Ideally the string path should be completely straight from the machine head post to where it anchors at the bridge.
[/quote] - Which needs to be done after the bass is assembled. My guess is Fender, in their mass production factory, fit the bridge on the body before it's married to the neck.

Rob; I don't when you're about in the Camden area, but through work I get down there every so often. I've re-fitted bridges. If you'd like me to take a look, let me know. It could be good to meet up.

Oh, and I so happen to have a Badass III hanging about... If you'd like that option too.

Cheers

Rich

Edited by Grangur

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1385719302' post='2291404']
Ideally the string path should be completely straight from the machine head post to where it anchors at the bridge.
[/quote]

Yeah to be honest even if I can get the string sitting in the right place to align with the neck properly, I'm not too sure about having the string at a funny angle over the saddle...

[quote name='Grangur' timestamp='1385719580' post='2291414']
Rob; I don't when you're about in the Camden area, but through work I get down there every so often. I've re-fitted bridges. If you'd like me to take a look, let me know. It could be good to meet up.

Oh, and I so happen to have a Badass III hanging about... If you'd like that option too.

Cheers

Rich
[/quote]

That's very kind of you... I'm always in Camden I live here...

I'm going to take it down to the gallery tomorrow and ask them what they think. Do you think your badass III will be a straight swap in for the original fender one? If a new bridge is the answer I'll happily buy it from you.

I'll see what they say tomorrow.

Thanks.

[quote name='CamdenRob' timestamp='1385720433' post='2291428']
Yeah to be honest even if I can get the string sitting in the right place to align with the neck properly, I'm not too sure about having the string at a funny angle over the saddle...

That's very kind of you... I'm always in Camden I live here...

I'm going to take it down to the gallery tomorrow and ask them what they think. Do you think your badass III will be a straight swap in for the original fender one? If a new bridge is the answer I'll happily buy it from you.

I'll see what they say tomorrow.

Thanks.
[/quote]

The Badass III has 5 holes. So my guess is 3 will line up with those you have there. 2 more will make it more solid.
Hey! Change the pups to SDs and get some good machine heads on there and you're half-way to a good bass! :crazy: [size=2] (Runs and hides)[/size]

I had this with a Jazz bass - I changed the neck for a Mighty Mite and it all ended up being very slightly out of alignment when I put it back together. I fitted a Hipshot A style bridge, which is an exact retrofit for the 5 hole Fender, which has sideways adjustment for the saddles. All perfectly aligned now. A better bridge, too - great piece of engineering! The slight angle of the string at the saddle hasn't proved to be an issue.

[quote name='CamdenRob' timestamp='1385715297' post='2291359']
[/quote]

You're right. According to my 'The Fender Bass - An Illustrated History', in 83 they changed the bridge on the Jazz to a 3 screw version. The P bass stayed as a 5 screw. If moving the neck a smidgeon didn't work, then best to take it to a tech.

[quote name='gjones' timestamp='1385732139' post='2291626']
You're right. According to my 'The Fender Bass - An Illustrated History', in 83 they changed the bridge on the Jazz to a 3 screw version. The P bass stayed as a 5 screw. If moving the neck a smidgeon didn't work, then best to take it to a tech.
[/quote]

Hmmm so it would be unlikely that a replacement bridge would be available with only three screws... I'm rather not be drilling any more in the bass :blink:

...also that book sounds like my xmas present sorted, now to leave not so subtle hints for Mrs C :D

[quote name='CamdenRob' timestamp='1385734953' post='2291662']
Hmmm so it would be unlikely that a replacement bridge would be available with only three screws... I'm rather not be drilling any more in the bass :blink:
[/quote] Hipshot A has just 3 screws. It would solve your problems. Not cheap, though.

Guitarpartsresource.com [url="http://www.guitarpartsresource.com/bass_saddles.htm"]http://www.guitarpar...ass_saddles.htm[/url]

They are in US but I have ordered from there. My package arrived inside a week and luckily I paid no VAT or duty but that is a luck of the draw kind of thing.

Edited by Twigman