Why become a member? ×

2004-2009 Fender Jazz Deluxe V - any good?

mingsta

I've seen a 2nd hand 2009 Fender Jazz Deluxe V (ie the older 2004-2009 model) which I'm interested in buying. Unfortunately its rather too far away for me to try out beforehand. I'm rather wary of buying a fender before trying. I've heard that the quality is really consistent in 2010 models onwards, but has anyone had experience of the 2004-2009 model?

I remember playing these basses from the era you mention , and just as Oliver says, the preamp was dull and uninteresting, at best, and I remember clearly that the low B was absolutely crap , to be perfectly frank with you . They had one in a shop local to me at the time, and I played it a few times and was always struck by how poor that bottom string was, especially compared to the Stingray 5 string that was hung on the wall next to it. Unless this bass is going for a very good price, I would be extremely dubious about buying sight unseen . The best thing about these basses was that they tended to be fairly light in weight, but everything else was very so-so.

Even the 2010 onwards models of the Am Deluxe are not that great, in my opinion . That new preamp is still poor compared to the competition , and there have been persistant stories about shilelding issues with these basses. The pickupos are also nothing special. I would be much more inclined towards looking at the passive five string Am Standard Jazz Bass and adding an external preamp ( or East J Retro) if you want an affordable five string Fender to do the active Jazz Bass thing.

Thanks for the reality check!!! I played the 2010 version which is meant to be much better and wasn't that impressed for the money...so what was I thinking!!! I guess I was looking at the Fender because it resembles what I really want, which is a Mike Lull M5V with alder body, RW and vintage amber finish, but its going to be a long time before I ever have the spare to spend on one of those!