Why become a member? ×

I'm tempted, really, please someone talk me out of this

It seems this would cost about £172 in the UK.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Fretless-Bass-Guitar-7-String-acoustic-electric-brand-new-/121216279269?pt=Guitar&hash=item1c390da2e5

No, I'm not joking, I am tempted. It ticks so many 'useful' boxes. 7 string. Acoustic. Fretless. I don't have any of those.

Unsurprisingly, when I search on this, I find an owner describing industrial levels of neck dive and others advising him/her to put car wheel weights inside it.

I've been put off. While people who have them seem to enjoy them and a youtube video suggests that it sounds OK, someone mentioned a problem with cheap acoustic basses. Some aren't properly braced, and one person described a situation where it wasn't just a matter of the top folding over time, that the bridge on their cheap acoustic bass actually broke off and whacked them in the hand. (If I recall correctly, perhaps another body part). That really gives me pause concerning such a cheap seven string bass.

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1385762238' post='2292072']
Me too. Most 'bargains' usually aren't. Except for all the lovely bargains on Basschat, of course. :D
[/quote]

I was looking at whether there were inexpensive sevens after having a fun time playing my Shine six string bass. Which cost me £60. There are bargains out there.

Now I've seen this and am gassing for it.

http://www.rondomusic.com/WVEB833vsfl.html

I must stop looking at USA based guitars. Once all the postage and duty/taxes/fees are added on, they're too expensive even if the original price is reasonable.

OTOH, I think that Shine makes their 'Douglas' instruments. I wonder if this is available locally.