Why become a member? ×

Why are there so many Tanglewaters on ebay?

[quote name='waynepunkdude' timestamp='1386066192' post='2295128']
Isn't it Tanglewood?
[/quote] Overwater Tanglewood

A good number are new, but ex-demo or with problems. I heard Overwater have spent a lot of time in China sorting quality issues. My guess is this is the poor quality ones being sold off to recover the costs. If this is the case, and if I owned Overwater, I'd de-brand them. But I don't and I may be wrong.

[quote name='Grangur' timestamp='1386067248' post='2295143']
Overwater Tanglewood

A good number are new, but ex-demo or with problems. I heard Overwater have spent a lot of time in China sorting quality issues. My guess is this is the poor quality ones being sold off to recover the costs. If this is the case, and [b]if I owned Overwater, I'd de-brand them[/b]. But I don't and I may be wrong.
[/quote]

I very much agree with that. Gear4Music may be less worried about debasing their own brand by selling faulty (even smashed) seconds. Aria and Peavey sell seconds on ebay, but many fewer of them. I can't imagine all these seconds (assuming that they are) being out there will help Overwater/Tanglewood. Though, perhaps it's a matter of having so many of them (whether seconds or just being sold cheaply) that they have to do something as they can't afford to just write them off. If it is just excess stock, then there's also the problem that other brands have had in that if enough are sold off cheaply, that creates an expectation among buyers as to how much they cost which makes new instruments in shops look 'too expensive'. But, I'm not a marketing guru, and I could be wrong.

Replying to another post up further, I think the number of Tanglewaters on ebay is way out of proportion to the number 'out there' in general. Hence my question.

Edited by Annoying Twit