Why become a member? ×

EUB setup guides/advice?

smaz

I've been doing some searching, but not found anything helpful - I was wondering if there any guides or advice for setting up an EUB (or just DB)? What sort of string height I should be looking at etc. - I know it's all down to preference, but just wondered if there was a reference point or something.

I have a Stagg EUB, if that matters!

Cheers :)

It's all personal preference really. A higher action (7-10mm) will give a more DBish sound than a lower action. The adjustable bridge on the Stagg makes it pretty easy to experiment- just raise the action and play a bit to see if it suits you.
The action on my EUB is a bit lower than the action on my DBs. Not sure exactly why - it just seems to have ended up that way.

I had the same problem recently with setting up my new EUB (Aria SWB-04). No useful info anywhere on the net. I basically experimented a bit myself until I got something I felt happy with. The action on my EUB when I bought it was very low, I raised it up using Rufus Reid's setup guide and then it was way too high. Brought it back down until it was somewhere in between and I was happy with it. I found I needed to fine tune a bot more action wise to ensure the intonation at the 12th dot marker for the octave was OK as well. Not sure if the Stagg has dot markers on the side? I also found I needed to fiddle with pickup height etc a bit as well to get a sound I liked.

Hope this helps.