Why become a member? ×

Maxon AF9 v EBS Bass IQ

Gunsfreddy2003

Just bought a Maxon AF9 after looking out for one for a while. I understood that this is the closest thing that you can get to Mu-Tron III without having to shell out £300 +!!!!

Anyway after excitedly setting it up I have to say that I have been rather disappointed with it's performance.

I am trying to get the Stuart Zender on ROTSC album sound or Flea squelchy sound from Sir Psycho Sexy and do not seem to be getting either. If anyone has one of these and can give some advice on the settings required to achieve these sounds then it would be much appreciated.

At the moment the EBS Bass IQ is sounding 10 times better and looks like it will be the one envelope filter that ends up staying on my board.

Thanks

Mark

Well you definitely won't be getting the Sir Psycho Sexy sound without running some kind of dirt into the filter. The same goes for the Zender stuff. As a stand alone filter I absolutely love the AF-9. If I didn't have a Mutron III it would be the AF-9 sitting on my board. Try running some kind of fuzz into it!

Higgie,

Not being in to fuzz much can you recommend a pedal that may give that sound? I am guessing some sort of overdrive or similar?

I took on board your point about the AF9 and the Mutron from a post you made before so really want to try and get the best from this pedal! How do you rate the EBS Bass IQ against the Mu-tron?

Mark

[quote name='Higgie' post='228517' date='Jun 28 2008, 12:11 PM']Well you definitely won't be getting the Sir Psycho Sexy sound without running some kind of dirt into the filter. The same goes for the Zender stuff. As a stand alone filter I absolutely love the AF-9. If I didn't have a Mutron III it would be the AF-9 sitting on my board. Try running some kind of fuzz into it![/quote]

Hi mate, a pedal I had cool results from - especially for the Zender stuff - is the Crowther Prunes and Custard.

Here's a sample I recorded a while ago running it through the AF-9 to try and cop the "Sir Psycho" tone: [url="http://media.putfile.com/Sir-Psycho---PC---Maxon-AF-9"]Sir Psycho Sexy[/url]

And here's one with the P+C by itself, trying to emulate the synth tone on Deeper Underground by Jamiroquai: [url="http://media.putfile.com/Deeper-Underground---Prunes-and-Custard"]Deeper Underground[/url]

As to the EBS vs the Mutron, I've only played with the EBS briefly, but it does have some rather cool filter sounds. It's a different beast to the Mutron though. The Mutron is the classic old school funky filter. I wouldn't use anything else now!

Higgie,

Nice one.

That sound for Deeper Underground is spot on - awesome!

How much does the P&C cost?

Cheers

Mark

[quote name='Higgie' post='228832' date='Jun 29 2008, 01:30 AM']Hi mate, a pedal I had cool results from - especially for the Zender stuff - is the Crowther Prunes and Custard.

Here's a sample I recorded a while ago running it through the AF-9 to try and cop the "Sir Psycho" tone: [url="http://media.putfile.com/Sir-Psycho---PC---Maxon-AF-9"]Sir Psycho Sexy[/url]

And here's one with the P+C by itself, trying to emulate the synth tone on Deeper Underground by Jamiroquai: [url="http://media.putfile.com/Deeper-Underground---Prunes-and-Custard"]Deeper Underground[/url]

As to the EBS vs the Mutron, I've only played with the EBS briefly, but it does have some rather cool filter sounds. It's a different beast to the Mutron though. The Mutron is the classic old school funky filter. I wouldn't use anything else now![/quote]